Air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to modify the stock box by cutting out the inside as it shrouds the filter, then change the first elbow out for a 3" pvc 90* elbow(try to find one with a boss in it for the iat sensor ), after that I'd look into 3" rad hose or pipe to get rid of the arcordian tube (your engine mounts must be in good shape) then either split the maf and bore it out or buy an after market one that's larger (I've had ideas of using an ls maf sensor as it has the iat sensor in it and it's larger already just don't know if it uses the same signals), if you are interested in a ram air filter box you just cut a hole and insert a tube into the front of the box and cut a matching hole in the rad support

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have or are going with the cotton version air filter like K&N, as touched on in previous post, the dealerships have been aware of the "TSB" regarding too much oil used after cleaning and ends up on the MAF sensor. Not everyone will experience this issue, but if you get a MAF code and it may run funny, choose a cleaner but don't touch the wires inside the housing. Damage may occur. Some have used tooth picks but MAF sensors are not cheap.

They don't make good X-Mas day gifts...considering what you may prefer.

Happy holidays to all / Stay safe and put the seat belts on. Glass doesn't taste well I'm told.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to modify the stock box by cutting out the inside as it shrouds the filter, then change the first elbow out for a 3" pvc 90* elbow(try to find one with a boss in it for the iat sensor ), after that I'd look into 3" rad hose or pipe to get rid of the arcordian tube (your engine mounts must be in good shape) then either split the maf and bore it out or buy an after market one that's larger (I've had ideas of using an ls maf sensor as it has the iat sensor in it and it's larger already just don't know if it uses the same signals), if you are interested in a ram air filter box you just cut a hole and insert a tube into the front of the box and cut a matching hole in the rad support

That's totally unnecessary on a stock, or near stock 350. The air intake was designed to accommodate the 454.

I believe the LS MAF would work electrically, as the new MAFs for our trucks, from AC Delco, look to be a current design MAF with an adapter harness.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's totally unnecessary on a stock, or near stock 350. The air intake was designed to accommodate the 454.

I believe the LS MAF would work electrically, as the new MAFs for our trucks, from AC Delco, look to be a current design MAF with an adapter harness.

Hey its a lot cheaper than buying a "Cold air" and that kinda the point of this thread

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Have you measured the stock plastic elbow opening and MAF? It's already close to 3" stock and has the correct angle to direct towards the stock TB location.

Absolute best upgrade is stock box/elbow/MAF with silicone coupler attaching a smooth tube with silicone elbow to TB. This straightens and smooths the air path while eliminating the stock accordian piece and the rest of that plastic garbage. And still draws cooler air from the inner fender too.

Keep it simple.

Look at the design of the expensive Volate intake. It still draws from the fender in it's own box, really no different from stock. But it straight shots the air to the TB just like i described. It's a very simple design they charge out the ass for but it can easily be duplicated with the stock box.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you measured the stock plastic elbow opening and MAF? It's already close to 3" stock and has the correct angle to direct towards the stock TB location.

Absolute best upgrade is stock box/elbow/MAF with silicone coupler attaching a smooth tube with silicone elbow to TB. This straightens and smooths the air path while eliminating the stock accordian piece and the rest of that plastic garbage. And still draws cooler air from the inner fender too.

Keep it simple.

Look at the design of the expensive Volate intake. It still draws from the fender in it's own box, really no different from stock. But it straight shots the air to the TB just like i described. It's a very simple design they charge out the ass for but it can easily be duplicated with the stock box.

Yea I have measured it that's why I said 3", notice the stock elbow squashes down to about 2".

Sorry for the long description I wanted to hit all the bases, which if you read it you'd realize I had said to swap out the arcordian tube among other things.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
some images of the filter housing cutting

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I have measured it that's why I said 3", notice the stock elbow squashes down to about 2".

Sorry for the long description I wanted to hit all the bases, which if you read it you'd realize I had said to swap out the arcordian tube among other things.

That elbow alone is about 3-4 KPA restriction on a stock 350. It necks down to about 1/2 the area of the intake tube.

I think people bash on the open intakes a bit too much. I have run those open "Sema" intakes on the road and down the track. My 2012 Titan ran 2.5 tenths quicker in the 1/8 and gained over 2 mph trap speed with an Airaid MXP vs the stock sealed up system. Went from a 9.85 @ 72 to a 9.6 @ 74 and that was hot lapping in 85°F weather. On the dyno I took the 2200 cfm oil'd gauze filter off and lost 1 hp. The Airaid system had absolutely ZERO restriction on a Stock 5.6L engine with the exhaust opened up. A K&N drop in was worth about 1 tenth and not even 1 MPH but the restriction in the system was ahead of the air box aka the stock intake tube with its accordian section that was 1/2" smaller than the 3" piping.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez