Air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone make a dry washable filter anymore? I've got a synthetic Fram that I've been using, but it's long discontinued. I think I've washed it maybe once. Apparently, I don't drive through dirty enough conditions to get it really dirty. I've thought about getting a new paper filter just because.

Maybe I should just wash it... I've still got my original AC Delco filter from 1999 to run in the meantime :) That's what I used to do when I had a K&N, and I'd wash it, and need to let it dry.

Amsoil used to make a dry Ea series filter for our factory intakes, unfortunately that one's discontinued too. I know someone makes a dry foam element filter for our intakes still, I want to say maybe AEM Dryflow?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First one was the Express van. It intakes air from the gap between the grille and hood via a scoop attached to the front of the air cleaner housing. The paper filter collapsed after driving roughly 800 miles non stop in the rain. Ohio, Kentucky, across Tennessee and into Texas all in the middle of a winter storm. The second one I had collapse was the drivers side filter in my M56S. It pulled air from above the condenser via a ram air intake setup. Drove roughly 450 miles continuously in the rain and suddenly the engine stumbled, went into limp mode and the SES ight came on. Filter had come apart so badly the filter wedged itself into the factory non screened MAF housing shorting the MAF out. Happens to be the only MAF sensor I have ever had to replace.

I don't think the issues you experienced in either of those vehicles would really apply to to the factory intakes on these trucks, as they draw air from different spots.

My experience with oiled gauze filters foulding MAFs was on one of these trucks, and the filter was straight out of the box so it was not an oiling mistake on my part. I've driven both of my trucks through downpours across multiple state lines and never has an issue with moisture contamination on a paper filter. Oiled gauze filters sure have given me issues, though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I had a K&N I had oil in my intake. I don't know if it was over oiled or not... never any codes from it. I eventually removed it when I saw the washable dry Fram at Walmart. The K&N was simply too dirty for me to want to handle after awhile, plus I was not confident the fibers were still together enough for further duty. I had probably blasted it with the hose trying to get it clean. It seemed to me that it was one of those deals where the approved procedure was inadequate for the job, but the benefit of the job was a main point of the product. Maybe a flat filter would be easier to clean.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think the issues you experienced in either of those vehicles would really apply to to the factory intakes on these trucks, as they draw air from different spots.
Exactly...like my example of the Unimog. :) No problems with filters getting wet on any of my GMT400's using the stock setup.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone make a dry washable filter anymore?

Sorry for quoting this twice and potentially blowing up your notifications but curiosity got the better of me so I decided to do a little Googling. Turns out my memory was correct, AEM makes a DryFlow series filter for these trucks, part number AE-10796. About $55 on most of the popular sites. Figured I'd share.

https://www.amazon.com/AEM-AE-10796-DryFlow-Air-Filter/dp/B006BZ9J5K

I like the convenience of just replacing paper elements though personally. Here's a link to those OEM K47 filters I mentioned earlier, these are what I use in both of my '97s. ACDelco part number 25168082 (or A1301C).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A6X56U