Adjusting the door at th hinges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dahead76

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has probably been asked but is there anyway to adjust the front of the doors at the hinge? I installed a door off a 98 onto my 95. New bushings and pins. Now the front of the door is about 3/8 of an inch too high and the back of the door is fine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Weird, same thing happened to me. I just assumed it was tweaked from the hit it took before I bought it. I shimmed my fender up to match, but now I wonder.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This is why I always tell people to try to stick as close as possible to same year on door swaps. The stamping dies for sheetmetal wears over time, so as the years go on, the pieces will not be the exact same shape as they were the year prior. I could probably also go so far as to look at the plant the truck was built at (can be easily decoded from the VIN), but I don't honestly know if each plant had their own stampings or they just shipped them in.

Honestly don't know how you could fix that, homie, short of removing the hinges which are welded in place, and installing replacement hinges which bolt in - and then being able to adjust their position. An expensive and labor-intensive proposition to be sure.

I started mentioning the year thing a long time ago when I ran into the same exact problem. The fit issue was different, but apparently insurmountable. Door fit fine at one end but was waaaaaaaaay off at the other.

Solution? I'd hunt for another door.

Richard

Dahead76

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, I've seen where you have mentioned that on several posts. The only reason I swapped this door was it didn't have a ding in it anywhere and already had all the power windows in it. I still have the door that came off of it but it needs some body work. Guess it will b easier to fix that door than adjusting the door I put on it. Thanks for your input.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I looked at the picture, I wondered whether the fender was the part that was not in the correct position. Can you loosen the fender bolts, get some shims, and make it line up? Just a thought

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
When I looked at the picture, I wondered whether the fender was the part that was not in the correct position. Can you loosen the fender bolts, get some shims, and make it line up? Just a thought

I did that too mine lol, it just has two fender washer's under the rear most bolt by the hinge

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I don't have a pic that shows the before, but I got mine like this,

You must be registered for see images attach

Dahead76

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
But if you moved your fender up, it would match.

It's not just the problem with the fender alignment, it's the whole door doesn't line up. Front, bottom or back. I know I'm being ****, lol! The front of the door is acctually sitting higher throwing everything else out of alignment.