Adjusting the door at th hinges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dahead76

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, in your pic it looks like it is lined up ok in the back, mine is, thats why I just moved the fender up to match lol.

Yea, I wish it was that simple. I would have already done it. I guess I'm just going to put the old door back on when I get off this damn night shift. It fit great. I'll just do the body work on it when I widen the rear fenders.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Yea, I wish it was that simple. I would have already done it. I guess I'm just going to put the old door back on when I get off this damn night shift. It fit great. I'll just do the body work on it when I widen the rear fenders.

I'm also at work lol. I wake up around noon and work on projects until I leave for work at 4 pm

Dahead76

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We work 12 hour shifts here. 6 to 6 on a 6 day rotating schedule. It sucks going from days to nights every 6 days (work 4 off 2).

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My last stab at it: There are 4 small bushings that go in the hinges. It matters which way they are installed. Probably not the issue, but just thought I'd throw it out there in case...

Dahead76

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, yep, I thought about that and already check to make sure I installed them correctly. I may stop buy a local body shop and ask how they would adjust them.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was having trouble fitting a door to a 1970 Cutlass once. I was doing the work at a body shop owned by a friend. He noticed me having trouble, and came over to see the problem. After a minute or so, he simply grabbed the back edge (latch side) of the door, and bent it upwards. And damn, it fit just fine after that!

I couldn't believe it, as I'd been at it for at least a couple of hours working with shims and the hinges.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I was having trouble fitting a door to a 1970 Cutlass once. I was doing the work at a body shop owned by a friend. He noticed me having trouble, and came over to see the problem. After a minute or so, he simply grabbed the back edge (latch side) of the door, and bent it upwards. And damn, it fit just fine after that!

I couldn't believe it, as I'd been at it for at least a couple of hours working with shims and the hinges.

Lol! Old school bodyman doing things that work instead of 'by-the-book'!
I've seen the guys that used to work for the ole man do that more than once!
If the doors couldn't be adjusted just by grabbing them at the end, as you described, & they would put a floor jack under the same end of the door with a block of 2x4 between & lift it up.
When lifting the door end, they'd have to take it up just a bit farther than needed to allow for the sag when they removed the jack. Have to be careful, though. Don't want to go too far. Best to do small amounts at a time, checking the fit after each lift on the door with the jack.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Bending the door up is an old trick but mostly only good if it's -only- down too far at the rear (and all necessary repairs have already been done) - his door is too high at the front by the hinges. If he bends the door up, it will be too high up all over. Can't do anything with bending that is going to change its relationship to the hinge end. Roll back to the first page and look at his pic.

Richard