A couple updates on the Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Kamokevin's Build Thread

Ok so I haven't been on here much lately since I havent been too involved with my truck thanks to college + job. However I had veterans day off so I decided to celebrate by spending it with my truck.

So first off I decided to start painting a few things
Faded wiper arms before:
You must be registered for see images attach

And painted matte black:

The difference isnt quite as noticeable in the pictures but its much better in person

I also plan on painting the rear pillars on my barn doors (theyre peeling), all 5 door handles, both bumpers, and the grill. Im gonna need more paint

Another thing ive been working on for wayyy too long is a new center console. I really want better cup holders and I plan on putting in a few 2 1/16" guages.
I started by just making a styrofoam model of what I wanted so i could easily put it in the truck, see how it looked, take it out and make adjustments.

Then I moved on to some 3/4" MDF and cut out the main pieces.

This piece was tricky and i had to insert a few wood biscuits to up the strength.

Heres a side view with that angled piece

And a couple overhead shots

Just glued and screwed the rear piece to the drivers side piece

Also I recently picked up some decently matching tan pleather-ish material and some thin foam to put under the material for a little feel.
Im thinking of incorporating cupholders like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2011-S...1500&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e682a49e1#ht_788wt_905

Also the lid will be lockable, unlike the stock console. That way scumbags dont steal your ipod again :mad:
Sorry for the long post, but I like where all this work is headed! And im open for suggestions!

Last edited:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Looks really nice so far. Are you going to attach it to the floorboard just using the 4 bolts?

Just saw that your in Tucson. Whereabouts? I'm on the SE side of town in Corona.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Looks really nice so far. Are you going to attach it to the floorboard just using the 4 bolts?

Just saw that your in Tucson. Whereabouts? I'm on the SE side of town in Corona.

Thanks man, ya im just going to use different brackets but it will be bolted down in at least 4 different places. I more north near the southern edge of oro valley

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Well I'm finished with finals and I'm out of work again so I've got some free time. Figured I'd work on the bumpers.

Before

After

Gonna get to the front bumper soon, also I'll start working on the console again here pretty soon

LILMAN

Reaction score
Is that plasti dip on that bumber? What'd you use on it?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Consoles looking good!
For foam, I'd recommend a 'closed-cell' foam. 1/8 or 1/16. It'll last longer and it's easy work with. Give it a quick scuff with some 80 or 100 grit before you glue it on. Just enough to break the skin a bit. The glue will hold better.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Is that plasti dip on that bumber? What'd you use on it?

It most certainly is plasti-dip! I wanted to make sure black was the route I wanted to take instead of colormatching, and after seeing the rear I'm 100% positive, so it will stay until it starts to look warn out then it will get a more permanent cover of paint.

It's looking good!
looking good!

Thanks guys!

Consoles looking good!
For foam, I'd recommend a 'closed-cell' foam. 1/8 or 1/16. It'll last longer and it's easy work with. Give it a quick scuff with some 80 or 100 grit before you glue it on. Just enough to break the skin a bit. The glue will hold better.

Thanks! Actually the foam I picked up is 1/8" closed cell foam haha but I didnt even think about scuffing the foam, I'll have to give that one a try

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Got some ruby red led brake lights for Christmas, put them in the next day. BIG improvement over my hazy stockers, especially when reversing