99 Suburban LT K1500 - Slow build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
Damn dude, all the $h!t always happens at once ya'know... well anyway you still got one of the nicest (if not the nicest) GMT400 burb out there... hope life clears up for you a bit!

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
So plans are in the works, and I should be ordering a new tranny late January into February. I also need to replace the mirrors as the driver side has completely bronzed over, so tows are in tow too.

I'm up for suggestions from anyone on what I should consider doing next. I'm thinking about the go industries bull bar, and a cowl hood too.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Damn dude, all the $h!t always happens at once ya'know... well anyway you still got one of the nicest (if not the nicest) GMT400 burb out there... hope life clears up for you a bit!
Thanks brother, appreciate that. I never see my truck as nice as others consider it.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
So plans are in the works, and I should be ordering a new tranny late January into February. I also need to replace the mirrors as the driver side has completely bronzed over, so tows are in tow too.

I'm up for suggestions from anyone on what I should consider doing next. I'm thinking about the go industries bull bar, and a cowl hood too.

No to the Bull bar, yes to the hood!

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I like both ideas...the bull bar and the cowl hood. If I had play money, both pieces would be on my rig.

silver97

Reaction score
Excellent looking suburban. I have a 1997 K2500 suburban that I am working on. Three years ago my 4l80e toasted and I swapped in a Nv4500 5 speed. Just picked up a donor suburban with a 454. Going to rebuild it and swap in next summer. Can you elaborate how you removed the trim on the sides of your suburban? I really need to remove mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Excellent looking suburban. I have a 1997 K2500 suburban that I am working on. Three years ago my 4l80e toasted and I swapped in a Nv4500 5 speed. Just picked up a donor suburban with a 454. Going to rebuild it and swap in next summer. Can you elaborate how you removed the trim on the sides of your suburban? I really need to remove mine.
attachment.php

Thanks! Heat gun and fishing line. It left behind some glue, which I then took a 3m eraser wheel too. Was pretty easy, maybe 2 hours.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Alright guys - new 350, or go with a built 383? I'm thinking about having a local company provide a new engine. I'm wondering if its worth upgrading to a 383 - they advertise 365 hp, 440 ft. lbs of torque with a vortec intake/cpfi. Cost difference is about $1500. I'd go with a 5.3 swap, but I am for utilizing the money already spent on the truck. I'm leaning towards just a good built 350.

The dealio is; I'm either going to get this thing running good, or I'm gonna sell it. So I'm either getting both a tranny and an engine, or it's gone. Tried to start it today, and it cranks, but won't start. Checked fuel pressure, oil pressure, voltage, starter... Not throwing any codes. I know its old, and I love the damn thing... but I need a damn running vehicle. Selling it just sounds horrible, I've got nearly 6 grand into it, and it's MINE. Trying to get into another vehicle with what I want already done just doesn't seem feasible, as I don't think I'll get out of my vehicle what I've put into it.

I've got window motors/actuators that need to be replaced, the blower motor is leaking water into the cab like a sieve, the blower motor doesn't turn on except for high, I need to get A/C reinstalled, the electric locks aren't working, the exterior door handles are falling apart... the list is long.

Help me out here brothers - what should I do? New/payments aren't an option (never again).

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I'd say go with the 383, make it a cool cruiser. You've already got tons of time and effort into the lift and everything like you said. And I understand all the little things, I've drained my blower motor 3 times the last month with all this rain on the East Coast.

I'd get the drivetrain done up and see how you feel afterwards though.