98 silverado 4l60 to th350 need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i was looking to swap to manual but i think its out of the budget BUT i can get a build th350 with 2800 stall brand new cheap.the 4l is acting up and im gonna do some work to the motor.i dont drive on the highway much so not really worried about OD.Can anyone give some good insight on the swap??

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i was looking to swap to manual but i think its out of the budget BUT i can get a build th350 with 2800 stall brand new cheap.the 4l is acting up and im gonna do some work to the motor.i dont drive on the highway much so not really worried about OD.Can anyone give some good insight on the swap??

you have obd II, i don't think you can just swap in a th350, and you need a signal for your speedo, how do you plan to rectify that as the speedo is mechanical on those, the th350 is much shorter so the drive shaft also needs to be changed

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What reasoning do you have that it won't work? The speedo is on the transfer case. So that will work. That link I sent, comes with the output shaft and spacer block. That solves the length issue. It most certainly will work. I have done it.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If.... its not a 4x4, you take a longtail 350 transmssion, add the spacer block, then bolt on your tailhousing. Look in the speedometer hole, mark the center of the hole on the shaft. Then tac weld your speedometer reluctor onto the shaft. My shop is in Mississippi, folks down that have the cotton farm trucks do it all the time. It works fine I assure your.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
What reasoning do you have that it won't work? The speedo is on the transfer case. So that will work. That link I sent, comes with the output shaft and spacer block. That solves the length issue. It most certainly will work. I have done it.

he never stated he had a 4wd and obdII reads the trans so it will get all kinds of angry without it

LT1/TA

Reaction score
If.... its not a 4x4, you take a longtail 350 transmssion, add the spacer block, then bolt on your tailhousing. Look in the speedometer hole, mark the center of the hole on the shaft. Then tac weld your speedometer reluctor onto the shaft. My shop is in Mississippi, folks down that have the cotton farm trucks do it all the time. It works fine I assure your.
That's pretty cool,but what about the PCM do you just connect the PRNDL switch and leave it in park or flash the PCM with a manual program?

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
he never stated he had a 4wd and obdII reads the trans so it will get all kinds of angry without it

its not a 4x4, you take a longtail 350 transmssion, add the spacer block, then bolt on your tailhousing. Look in the speedometer hole, mark the center of the hole on the shaft. Then tac weld your speedometer reluctor onto the shaft. I don't even know what gets angry without it means, but yes the check engine light will be on. Will not affect anything with the engine performance. I am not sure what obd11 has to do with anything really.

The PRNDL switch we leave in park and tie strap it to the frame. We run a wire to a toggle switch for the reverse lights. Like I said, most of the trucks we do this to are farm trucks so toggle switches are fine with them. I wouldn't do this to my truck, but for a old farm or work truck its a cheaper option. A good 350 built right can handle abuse WAY more than a 4L60E, and way cheaper if they do go out.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
btw the one reason why the truck needs a VSS is so the computer can shift the trans. so be eliminating that he won't need to worry about it.

in theory.