Need help Identifying remanufactured TH700/4L60

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I would too, but its my daughters daily driver and downtime for pure shenanigans is not much appreciated. Not bying it before the pan is off, for sure.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
considering the state it's in i would assume it is a core. from experience it is often cheaper and less heart ache rebuilding a known good unit vs some random core. the first 700r4 i rebuilt solo over 10 years ago came out of my car and it had known issues (slipped bad on the 1-2 shift) and had been driven like that for sometime. someone had also "rebuilt" the unit before. i replaced EVERY hardpart but the low/reverse piston. i had to have the pump machined, the input drum was from an early 700 and wouldn't accommodate the newer 4L60E clutch pack. both planetaries had worn thrust washers and/or to much wobble, sun shell worn, sun gear splines showing signs of stripping, shafts that ride on bushings had deep grooves, etc etc. this is an extreme example but be prepared to open the wallet.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
considering the state it's in i would assume it is a core. from experience it is often cheaper and less heart ache rebuilding a known good unit vs some random core. the first 700r4 i rebuilt solo over 10 years ago came out of my car and it had known issues (slipped bad on the 1-2 shift) and had been driven like that for sometime. someone had also "rebuilt" the unit before. i replaced EVERY hardpart but the low/reverse piston. i had to have the pump machined, the input drum was from an early 700 and wouldn't accommodate the newer 4L60E clutch pack. both planetaries had worn thrust washers and/or to much wobble, sun shell worn, sun gear splines showing signs of stripping, shafts that ride on bushings had deep grooves, etc etc. this is an extreme example but be prepared to open the wallet.
totally agree it's better to start with a virgin unit than one that's been rifled through before.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
considering the state it's in i would assume it is a core.
A goodwrench transmission, when you get one, looks brand new, as in you couldn't tell it was ever installed in anything, the case is spotless, this transmission pictured is very far from that. Looks of many miles. A crapshoot you get in and it fully functions

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both me and the seller is well aware that the fact that it was remanufactured a looooong time ago does not add any value, its more of the opposite as it makes it difficult to know what is in it. He is asking the eqvivalent of $500 which in Sweden is pretty normal for just a tranny of unknown condition. And I might get it delivered the 300km to my house. But I agree it could be junk so it is a bit of a gamble. And If it does not have the AUX valve, I'm obviously going to pass. That will in that case be the fourth tranny I reject in a couple of weeks :rolleyes:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
screenshot_20230519-170135_messenger-jpg.338689

The case has the bigass semi-circular casting mark around the cooler-tube connections.

Far as I know, that's a characteristic of a trans new enough for an aux. valve body.