Blower only works on 2nd and 3rd speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leal77

Reaction score
Having some issues with my blower motor, as title suggests it doesn't work on lowest or highest speeds. Checked the connections at the blower itself and they seem fine. Wanted to get someone else's opinion before I go digging around in the dash, I've read about problems with the resistor or the switch on the dash itself. Any advice would be appreciated.

rdobirdman

Reaction score
Having some issues with my blower motor, as title suggests it doesn't work on lowest or highest speeds. Checked the connections at the blower itself and they seem fine. Wanted to get someone else's opinion before I go digging around in the dash, I've read about problems with the resistor or the switch on the dash itself. Any advice would be appreciated.
I had a similar issue, replaced the resistor and no more trouble. It's accessible via the glove box as I recall

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming this is a 96+, pull the connector at the resistor and check for voltage for each of the first three blower speeds (yellow, tan, light blue wires). If you have 12V, then the blower switch at the a/c panel is good.

If not, check the blower switch connector - if it’s melted, replace it and check your blower to see how freely it spins.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you have 12V coming to the resistor connector at speeds 1-3, reconnect it and disconnect the blower relay next to it. Check that connector’s dark blue wire for voltage at speeds 1-3. It should vary.

If there is no voltage on that wire on speed 1, the resistor is probably bad.

For high speed, the resistor is bypassed. Check for voltage coming from the panel’s blower switch to the relay’s orange wire. Also the red wire which comes from the fuse panel.

Blower switch connector is below.

Last edited: