TH350 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pope0fV8s

Reaction score
I have a 1992 2wd SWB and swapping a GEN 1 SBC with a TH350 Long tail. Looking to see if i can use a aftermarket Trans cross-member for a 70's c10 trans cross member may work for my truck. i know there's dirty dingo and other brands that sale OBS swap cross-members but looking to do this on a budget without cutting frame,

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1992 2wd SWB and swapping a GEN 1 SBC with a TH350 Long tail. Looking to see if i can use a aftermarket Trans cross-member for a 70's c10 trans cross member may work for my truck. i know there's dirty dingo and other brands that sale OBS swap cross-members but looking to do this on a budget without cutting frame,
350 long tail should bolt right in place of a 700r4. The mount and driveshaft are both no more than 1/4" difference. There is no need to try to macgyver the older truck crossmember. The GM vans especially were setup with long tail 350s in the 70s and 80s, a 700r4 bolts right in its place and the reverse is true with the 350. Even on my 99 Tahoe, the 4L80E merely required unbolting the crossmember, the front bolt holes lined up with the OE rear crossmember mounting holes in the frame and I drilled new rear mounting holes in the frame.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
these trucks have straight frame rails and straight transmission crossmembers. worst case is drill new holes or slot the holes on the frame. have you gone under and looked at it at all?

Pope0fV8s

Reaction score
these trucks have straight frame rails and straight transmission crossmembers. worst case is drill new holes or slot the holes on the frame. have you gone under and looked at it at all?
I have. The issue is if i slot the crossmember the location on the trans for the mount will have the crossmember so far up i would have to cut into the frame

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have. The issue is if i slot the crossmember the location on the trans for the mount will have the crossmember so far up i would have to cut into the frame
Was/is a 700R4 in the truck now? If so, why swap in a TH350 of any variant?

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what? the crossmember has to move back ~1 3/4". drill new holes in the frame rails, done.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what? the crossmember has to move back ~1 3/4". drill new holes in the frame rails, done.
A long tail 350 has the same mounting point within 1/8" as a 700r4. Zero change to the crossmember. The tailshaft has the mounting points on it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A long tail 350 has the same mounting point within 1/8" as a 700r4. Zero change to the crossmember. The tailshaft has the mounting points on it.

We don't know what the OP is working with. I suspect he has a V6 with a manual, However.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What TH350 2WD extension housing has the mounting points cast into it? I have a short and medium length on the shelf, neither have mounting bosses but I know there's a long 12.5" ext housing that I don't have - are you referring to that one or perhaps a very specialized housing? It's been forever since I've seen one of the foot-long ones...But see TH350s with the other two 2WD ext housings regularly...
We don't know what the OP is working with. I suspect he has a V6 with a manual, However.
Yea, curious to see if he responds to my question above...Maybe he has a manual trans (I'm not real familiar w/those).

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What TH350 2WD extension housing has the mounting points cast into it? I have a short and medium length on the shelf, neither have mounting bosses but I know there's a long 12.5" ext housing that I don't have - are you referring to that one or perhaps a very specialized housing? It's been forever since I've seen one of the foot-long ones...But see TH350s with the other two 2WD ext housings regularly...

Yea, curious to see if he responds to my question above...Maybe he has a manual trans (I'm not real familiar w/those).
The ones I have had are 350C. From the time period GM had both the TH350 as standard equipment and the 700r4 was an option.