Carb SBC vs TBI SBC vs Gen 3 LS reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny,it had run several races and won them all with castor oil in that engine. I was low of castor oil to went to NAPA and got a couple quarts of Royal Purple. It ran fine in the first heat race and seized after 5 laps in the second heat race. I was building my own engines and all the engines for our team and never had one seize until I poured that crap into it.
Interaction between Methanol blow-by, and Royal Purple oil? Kinda thinking that castor oil tolerates methanol.

But no experience, I'm just half-remembering and half-guessing.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interaction between Methanol blow-by, and Royal Purple oil? Kinda thinking that castor oil tolerates methanol.

But no experience, I'm just half-remembering and half-guessing.
That's what I'm thinking. I states right on the bottle that it is compatible with exotic fuels but I don't think it played well with the methanol.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Castor oil is also one of the best lubricants there is and tolerates very high heat. Could just have been the increased friction?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so unless it was caused by the RP. I was polishing every surface of those engines. Flywheel side crank journal(where it seized)the bore where the FW side crank runs,crank pin,both ends of the rod,wrist pin,cam jounals and their bores,cam lobes and lifter bases. The crank runs in a ball bearing on the PTO side. These were Briggs & Stratton Raptor engines but most of them came off anything powered by a 5hp Briggs(tillers,chippers etc) then I reworked them to WKA specs for stock class.

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny,it had run several races and won them all with castor oil in that engine. I was low of castor oil to went to NAPA and got a couple quarts of Royal Purple. It ran fine in the first heat race and seized after 5 laps in the second heat race. I was building my own engines and all the engines for our team and never had one seize until I poured that crap into it.
sounds like detergents too me. I have had excellent results. One time, I ran about 5 miles off road with no oil in the sump. Oil that was present was RP. Hit oil filter on something.............anyway, I was in a spot I should not be in. Drove about 5 miles back to the highway, and them the engine seized.

Another time, back in 06, I had a tahoe, that I switched to RP (all drive trian fluids, average MPG went up by 2mpg, and sounded much smoother. Sound think it is BS.

There is the possibility that the folmulations have changed since then........

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like detergents too me. I have had excellent results. One time, I ran about 5 miles off road with no oil in the sump. Oil that was present was RP. Hit oil filter on something.............anyway, I was in a spot I should not be in. Drove about 5 miles back to the highway, and them the engine seized.

Another time, back in 06, I had a tahoe, that I switched to RP (all drive trian fluids, average MPG went up by 2mpg, and sounded much smoother. Sound think it is BS.

There is the possibility that the folmulations have changed since then........
I was racing back in the mid 90's,I think RP was pretty new then.