98 k1500 will start but won't run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well truck still doesnt run gonna try carb cleaner or starter fluid an spray it in the throttle body at this point im leaning towards fuel pump

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
.........how i can test pressure when the truck wont even run? Help

In that case it would probably be best to remove the fuel pump relay and then insert a jumper wire to temporarily run / test the pump.

Similar to this post here.....

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-bleed-6-5l-fuel-system.13943/

The book (if there is one) would probably recommend a "fused" jumper.

Could a clogged fuel filter cause a no start ? Like good fuel pump pressure when engine is not running, but not enough fuel flowing when needed.

IIRC, there may be a proceedure for opening the fuel line (by removing the filter) and connecting a flexible hose to direct the fuel into a container so that the flow (gpm) rate can be measured.

FWIW, 1998 had passlock security which disables the inectors, the symptom would be more like, engine starts fine and then abrubtly stalls after 2 or 3 seconds, the "Security" light in the upper right hand corner of dash would be illuminated or flashing.

Food for thought, best of luck.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In that case it would probably be best to remove the fuel pump relay and then insert a jumper wire to temporarily run / test the pump.

Could a clogged fuel filter cause a no start ? Like good fuel pump pressure when engine is not running, but not enough fuel flowing when needed.

IIRC, there may be a proceedure for opening the fuel line (by removing the filter) and connecting a flexible hose to direct the fuel into a container so that the flow (gpm) rate can be measured.

FWIW, 1998 had passlock security which disables the inectors, the symptom would be more like, engine starts fine and then abrubtly stalls after 2 or 3 seconds, the "Security" light in the upper right hand corner of dash would be illuminated or flashing.

Thanks ill give this a try

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Im guessing if the fuel pump doesnt run while jumper is in then fuel pump is bad

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try doing a security system reset. Key 'on' for ten minutes then off for like two seconds then on for ten minutes....do it three times and see if it runs.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Im guessing if the fuel pump doesnt run while jumper is in then fuel pump is bad

From what I understand, the ECM-B fuse (20amp) at the underhood fuse center should supply power to that relay, have you checked the fuse / is power going to the relay ?

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/0yxg0-1998-chevy-1500-truck-305-v8-changed-fuel-pump.html

There would also be a ground -12V for the fuel pump that should probably be located somewhere near the fuel tank on the frame rail (or body?), guessing that you might wan't to check that connection before condeming the pump.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could try giving the tank a few love taps with a dead blow hammer and see if the pump comes on. Sounds like that's your problem either way though.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could try giving the tank a few love taps with a dead blow hammer and see if the pump comes on. Sounds like that's your problem either way though.

Yes im replacing the pump next weekend and going from there any advice in what brand pump i should purchase?

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would go with ACDelco personally, Rockauto has them for $150. I wouldn't go Airtex, their pumps seem to fail extremely quick.