98 k1500 will start but won't run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update replaced fuel pump fuel filter an pump seemed to work now pump wont come on i have power to the pump checks fuses maybe bad fuel pump relay?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
It's more likely a bad wire that got busted during the install. You're just going to have to test them out.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's more likely a bad wire that got busted during the install. You're just going to have to test them out.

Fuel pump comes on when 12v is applied but not when key is in the on position buddy of mine said maybe needs a new computer?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but how does PassLock behave on these trucks? Could that be what's cutting his fuel pump? I know on my Impala it won't even crank if there's a PassLock issue, but never owned one of these that has it.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but how does PassLock behave on these trucks? Could that be what's cutting his fuel pump? I know on my Impala it won't even crank if there's a PassLock issue, but never owned one of these that has it.

It'll start for like one second and die.

He needs to check his relay, and ECM B fuse, then start looking for shorts. He can just the relay and see if it forces his pump on.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
It could be, but he had a bad pump, changed it, and now has this problem, so I'm guessing something happened on the install.

I've had the brittle wires snap on me twice now on fuel pump installs.