98 feeling sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe a throttle body clean and running some of the cure all stuff you guys always talk about and whose name has momentarilly slipped my mind through the vacuum line might help.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i havent touched the throttle body. i will be putting some lucas injector cleaner in it on next fill up. just checked my mileage on the last tank (first tank i havent towed my rhino with in a while), it was 13.7. Thats around 1.5mpg lower than the last time i checked. which was before the tune up, but i really dont think it has anything to do with the "tune up" since the truck still runs the same now as before, plus i always keep an eye out on the trip to see about how many miles/tank im getting (first truck had a broke fuel gauge, so its a habit to reset the trip every fill up).

every now and again the vaccum leak code (cant remember which one exactly right now) pops up. not sure if that has something to do with it or now. I know i have an exhaust leak that developed not to long ago that i need to fix, but i wouldnt think that would be my problem.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
SEAFOAM....the **** I was babbling about incoherently is called seafoam. Worked well on my truck, smoothed the idle out nicely.

x10 I use it every other oil change.

Plus at the same time when I am down to a 1/4 tank of gas I will put in the big bottle of Chevron Techron in the tank and drive it for awhile before filling up. Helps keep the motor running smooth. I have 182k on the clock and mine runs smooth. Im basically the same as you with tune up and pump. Most likely still OE as far as I can tell.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your exhaust leak is before your front O2 sensors, that will decrease your fuel mileage.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah it seems that if the exhaust leak (that i cant seem to find at the moment) is in front of the O2 sensor, then it would cause the truck to think it is running leaner than it actually is, causing it to dump more fuel in, which in turn would hurt performance and gas mileage.

thats been on my mind for a little while. now i just need to find the leak.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
My truck has Autolite plugs in it, they have been in there since I bought the truck 19,000 miles ago, I looked at them yesterday and they are still nice!

I ran sea foam through my vacuum hose, and us Vortec guys have to make sure when running sea foam like that, you must get the spray stuff with the long straw and spray it through the throttle body and slowly pull the straw out, the vacuum hose on the booster isn't enough to get the sea foam through the whole engine, but I did it anyways to clean out the rear 4 cylinders to see if it made a difference in throttle response, well after that the intake gasket blew and I didn't get to drive my truck for 4 days, so I couldn't tell you if throttle response is different.

I wont touch that **** again, I dumped $600 bucks in parts and labor after that damn can of sea foam.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah it seems that if the exhaust leak (that i cant seem to find at the moment) is in front of the O2 sensor, then it would cause the truck to think it is running leaner than it actually is, causing it to dump more fuel in, which in turn would hurt performance and gas mileage.

thats been on my mind for a little while. now i just need to find the leak.

Check your exhaust donuts (there between your the Y-Pipe flanges and the exhaust manifolds), that's the most likely place for it to leak towards the front of the system! Also may want to check between the flange before the cat!

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i checked last night, and i have autolite plugs in mine.

i check the all the connections on my exhaust and didnt see any signs of leaks, or maybe im just blind lol. im gonna check again tonite tho.