98 feeling sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck seems to be gettin more and more sluggish here lately. It has 194k on it. Ill prolly get cussed at, but i just recently done the first tune up on it (new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor). The truck seems to run a little smoother, but still has horribly gas mileage (15ish mpg, ill be verifing that soon). The trans seems to be starting to shift a little rough between 1 and 2 now.

im considering taking my truck to a trans shop to have them inspect it. Im also considering changing the oil and filter in the trans too. Ive heard if you never have serviced it, dont flush it, but i cant see how just dropping the pan and replacing filter and oil could hurt.

Maybe my problems are its just gettin worn out. oddly enough, its still on its original fuel pump (knock on wood).

any ideas on what might cause the not so great gas mileage and sluggish feeling?

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
it isnt horrible, i was just hopin for a increase when i did the tune up. it use to get 18-19 when it was newer. i wasnt expecting that, but was hopin for a little better. air pressure is good last time i checked, but i need to check them again.

my main concern is more on how sluggish its startin to feel. im fixin to rebuild a 350 sittin in my shop out of a tahoe, so my 305 may be next in line lol

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kinda plugs did you use for the tune up??

:word: If you used champion plugs, pull them out and install a good set of Delco's. I've seen them damn champions cause some odd problems, i recommend ALWAYS using Delco plugs in any GM motor. You stated that it's starting to feel slugish, does it stumble when you kick down the throttle? Also when you put the new cap and rotor in, did you install one with brass terminals?

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont remember what plugs, it wasnt delco and i dont think it was champion either (but i could be wrong). id have to pull a plug to check to be honest with ya. i meant to get delco but i dunno what i was thinking. i told him i wanted stock replacements and i cant remember what he gave me. as far as rotor and cap, i have no clue, it was delco parts tho. i really dont know how the truck was running prior to changin the cap and rotor, the rotor was SHOT.

it was feeling sluggish prior to doin all this. maybe im just crazy and its running fine

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the fuel filter has been changed but not recently. it doenst seem to be starving for gas (been there done that lol), but that doesnt mean the fuel filter doenst need to be changed.

im not sure what the spider poppets are... thats a new term for me lol.