98 feeling sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well another search the exhaust leak has turned up nothing. so i think i dont have an exhaust leak. i think the strange noise im hearing at higher rpms is from my "cadillac" convertor (jokin on the name of course). i think it may be stopped up. it seems to make a strange noise with the truck just idling (of course thats with me under the truck too). im not sure what a new one sounds like tho lol.

it may be time for my first cat gut.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well another search the exhaust leak has turned up nothing. so i think i dont have an exhaust leak. i think the strange noise im hearing at higher rpms is from my "cadillac" convertor (jokin on the name of course). i think it may be stopped up. it seems to make a strange noise with the truck just idling (of course thats with me under the truck too). im not sure what a new one sounds like tho lol.

it may be time for my first cat gut.

It's a possibility your cat is getting clogged up, what kind of sound is the exhaust making? Is it making a pop type noise? Also are you hearing the noise at all temps (ie just when it is cold or when its hot also)? When a cat is shot, usually it'll make a pretty distinct noise. Do you notice quite a bit off loss power at lower RPM's more so then higher rpms?

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
it makes the noise at all times. you only hear it when drivin when your in the upper RPMs. as far as power loss, it seems to be everywhere lol

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well it seems among my issues is a trans issue too. so i might be in the market to get mine rebuilt...prolly gonna beef it up a little. after that (when my pocket book recovers), i will be either puttin 5.3 or a 383 in it.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I cut open the cat and sure enuf some of the "packing" had broke loose and moved around. I'm not a fan of the sound right now with the gutted cat but I can't remember the last time my truck felt that peppy and I never really got into it very hard