98 C2500 popping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec 350

Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this so, I'll just put it here. Anyway, I recently purchased a 1998 Chevy Cheyenne 2500 2wd 350 Vortec. I like the truck but it does have 200,000 miles and some issues. The main problem is a popping noise I hear when I'm moving in any direction. It's hard to explain the noise or pinpoint where it's coming from. But, it seems to be coming from under the cab on the driver's side. I know this isnt very descriptive but that's really all I can do to explain it. Any advise would be great thanks.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
A video would help.

Guessing it's a long box? How's the carrier bearing in the driveshaft. Is there any play in the front tires? Perhaps the wheel bearings up front are trash or somethings loose. Do you notice the noise going over bumps? Could just be as simple as sway bar links. Could be ball joints too..

Vortec 350

Reaction score
A video would help.

Guessing it's a long box? How's the carrier bearing in the driveshaft. Is there any play in the front tires? Perhaps the wheel bearings up front are trash or somethings loose. Do you notice the noise going over bumps? Could just be as simple as sway bar links. Could be ball joints too..
I just had an alignment and the shop said everything looked good upfront. Yes it is a long bed. And it makes the noise whenever the suspension articulates ie. Bumps or uneven ground. How could I check the driveshaft carrier bearing? All of the u joints in the drive shaft are good. So I'm not really sure what It is that's tha the reply.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I bet your sway bar links are trashed. Just because someone said stuff was good doesn't mean it is. Stick your head in there and have a look. Noises over bumps are highly indicative of ball joint/sway bar link problems. I doubt the carrier bearing is bad. Those types of things typically hum anyway.

Vortec 350

Reaction score
I bet your sway bar links are trashed. Just because someone said stuff was good doesn't mean it is. Stick your head in there and have a look. Noises over bumps are highly indicative of ball joint/sway bar link problems. I doubt the carrier bearing is bad. Those types of things typically hum anyway.
Ok hearing my ball joints could be bad scares me how do I check them? Also how could I check my sway bar links?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
THat's where my advice gets questionable haha. Typically I look at the boots, if they're torn, dry rotted and such that's a clue. You're supposed to lift the wheels off the ground and check for play up and down, there's an allowable limit, some are so bad the ball could literally fall out of the socket. The sway bar links will either not be there or be torn or dry rotted to the point they're crumbling.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok hearing my ball joints could be bad scares me how do I check them? Also how could I check my sway bar links?
Jack front up and use a pry bar of sorts under the tire and pry tire up and down and see if you have movement in the joints etc. Better to have someone else pry up and down while you watch joints etc.

Vortec 350

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Vortec 350

Reaction score

Vortec 350

Reaction score
Anyone see anything obvious? I ran out of time to jack her up and feel for play. But tomorrow I'll see if I find anything with it jacked up