98 C2500 popping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The right (passenger) tie rod end boot is torn and leaking grease, so that joint may be questionable. Rocking one tire back and forth with the other tire on the ground will show where any play is.

The surface rust may be fooling me, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the steering components are nearly all original. The grease fittings don’t look like they’ve been touched in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vortec 350

Reaction score
Yeah the streering is sloppy and the truck walks all over the road but, I'm used to it from our other GMT 400. Is there a special greece to use on the zircs? Or can I use any Ol' multipurpose that I have in my gun?

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They look dry for sure, multi purpose grease is fine. The fifth picture down looks a little off kilter like there might be a little slop there. Only way to know for sure is jack it up and shake things up.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the streering is sloppy and the truck walks all over the road but, I'm used to it from our other GMT 400. Is there a special greece to use on the zircs? Or can I use any Ol' multipurpose that I have in my gun?
Grease takes up a little loose play sometimes, if it is not drastic.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the replies are right on point for checks. Really need to go through everything connected to front suspension and steering. Sounds like you have three different issues going on from what I have read.

1. Do you have uneven tire wear? If so, pay close attention to your ball joints and A-Arm bushings.

2. Do your tires have chopping? If so, inspect shocks, shock mounting points (bushings, etc), and away bar components. If you have a lean with or drop in front associated with tire chop then I would suspect springs.

3. Do your tires have swiping? If so, look at the rod ends, wheel bearings, gear box, steering coupler, ball joints, and A-Arm bushings.

Unfortunately when it comes to these issues nobody can give a definitive answer, but only guidance. Your tires will tell you what is going on provided the are in good shape (no dry rot, separation, in balance, decent tread). A bad tire can cause a lot of headaches in diagnosing an issue caused be the tire.

Last piece of advice for future knowledge, vibrations and noise can travel given conditions, so for future reference a brief video of the issue is always helpful.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not directly related but that cable in the last two pictures of your first post looks like it is getting eaten. Could lead to other issues.​

That joint boot in the same photo looks empty to me. So greasing up the front will quiet front end down. Zerks may need to be cleaned or replaced due to the rust showing.

Last edited:

Vortec 350

Reaction score
It's hard to make a video because of my straight pipes... Honestly it's more of a "feel" than a sound. I can defenetly hear something but can most certainly feel it moving. The feeling I can feel is something moving from my feet on the floor pan- firewall.

Vortec 350

Reaction score
All of the replies are right on point for checks. Really need to go through everything connected to front suspension and steering. Sounds like you have three different issues going on from what I have read.

1. Do you have uneven tire wear? If so, pay close attention to your ball joints and A-Arm bushings.

2. Do your tires have chopping? If so, inspect shocks, shock mounting points (bushings, etc), and away bar components. If you have a lean with or drop in front associated with tire chop then I would suspect springs.

3. Do your tires have swiping? If so, look at the rod ends, wheel bearings, gear box, steering coupler, ball joints, and A-Arm bushings.

Unfortunately when it comes to these issues nobody can give a definitive answer, but only guidance. Your tires will tell you what is going on provided the are in good shape (no dry rot, separation, in balance, decent tread). A bad tire can cause a lot of headaches in diagnosing an issue caused be the tire.

Last piece of advice for future knowledge, vibrations and noise can travel given conditions, so for future reference a brief video of the issue is always helpful.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.
Well the problem is I just got new tires after the allingnment but, my old passenger front tire was worn out on the outside and there was still significant tread left on inside.

Vortec 350

Reaction score
Well I jacked up the front end and every joint isnt sloppy. All of my cab mounts are good so that checked out. I noticed that when I was jacking up my front end, I heard the noise and I swear it came from the rear end! I looked everything over and im completely dumfounded over what could be making this noise. I'm getting close to the I don't care anymore just drive it stage. Any one have any last ideas? I would also like to that everyone for responding. Thanks!