Popping noise when suspension articulates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugly99

Reaction score
Alright, so I found whats making the noise. Sadly I'm not much less confused. For some reason the spring pack is basically trying to rotate and the popping noise is the front spring end jamming into the hanger. Don't understand why this is happening...

You must be registered for see images attach

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, so I found whats making the noise. Sadly I'm not much less confused. For some reason the spring pack is basically trying to rotate and the popping noise is the front spring end jamming into the hanger. Don't understand why this is happening...

Bushing shot? End of leaf split allowing it to shift around the bushing?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh man, I feel for you. I just got finished (almost) doing a flip kit on my 91. 1st thing your supposed to do is take the leaf off the hanger. Ya, no friggin way was that happening. You are in for a fight. That looks like the drivers side if not mistaken. Best bet is to take the nut off, cut the head off the bolt, grab a stack of washers and draw what's left of the bolt through. Bonus points if you can lift the bed to get a impact gun on it. If not, use a good size breaker bar and a 12 point socked. Oh....and soak the pi$$ out of it with penetration oil.
just a pic of what I meant about the washers. This was on the shackles, but same idea.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yep rubber bushing shot for sure. Look at where the bolt centerline is vs the centerline of the bushing hoop. You'll need lots of heat to loosen that nut, dont worry about burning the rubber just try not to heat the spring too much. I would wrap wet shop towels around the spring. And I think the above post meant to use a 6-point socket, not 12.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And I think the above post meant to use a 6-point socket, not 12.
My comment about the 12 point was because mine would only turn so much due to being super seized I didn't have much room to rotate enough to get a full swing with the breaker bar. So the 12 point made it easier to get "short strokes" on it. Hopefully that makes sense.
But for breaking it loose I would definitely recommend a 6 point for strength.

Arnes98

Reaction score
I've got a noise on a 98 k2500 that I can't find for the life of me. I've read about the slip yoke and some other ideas but I don't think that's what this is.

The noise sounds like it's in the rear center or driver's side. It's a big clunk/pop that happens once when you drive over uneven ground like if you went over rolling hump at a 45 degree angle or when you drive out of a parking lot onto a highway where the ramp onto the highway is sloped. Occasionally it will do it driving over potholes but it usually takes more of a big rolling terrain change, kind of hard to describe, but basically seems like it happens when there's some body rolling involved.

Ive looked at the shocks, leaf springs, drive shaft, body mounts, and such and can't see anything visually. I think my first step is going to be replacing the shocks if nobody else has any ideas that make sense but figured I'd check here for ideas before I start throwing money at it.

Any help much appreciated
Check the torsion cross member bushings

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM's "fix" was to grease the areas where each leaf contacted the next. That didn't work. Since I worked at the dealership I was pretty tight with the service department guys and they ended up ordering me a new set of leaf springs and installing them and that did fix the issue.
Same thing happened to my then new 2008 Tacoma. Took it in, their fix was to grease leafs. Within a couple of years the leaf broke, one swung to the side and damaged the shock. Since I had taken it in previously under warranty, I filed a complaint. Toyota denied it. Then about 4 years later, issue came up as a recall. Since I had repaired it long before, I had a mechanic write up a parts/labor bill which Toyota finally paid. :Big Laugh:
Oh, I forgot. About 2 years after that, I had taken it to a Toyota dealership, can’t remember why, but when I picked it up they said “By the way, we installed brand new leaf springs in your truck too, as they were under recall”. Then I explained the prior history, I wonder if they ever got paid for that.

Last edited:

Mikes98

Reaction score
Someone else with the same problem. I think I know of what you speak. I have a '98 GMC C1500 shortbed 2WD. Bought it in 2001. It would make this random "popping" sound ...coming from the rear of the truck. It would happen most often at slow speeds, as in a turn into a side street or parking lot. It usually happens when there's some kind of flex in the suspension or frame. Wouldn't happen all the time but often enough to make it irregularly regular. In the 23 years I've owned the truck I haven't found the cause. It seems to have gotten better but ...every once in awhile it makes the popping sound.

My theory is it's one of the large frame rivets that may not be quite hammered home all the way. IDK. But I've never found the cause and I've given up lookin