4l80e squeaking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clutterhead

Reaction score
I have a van with a 4l80e. Recently I started hearing a groan at around 45-50mph, along with a squeak/creaking noise at very low speeds. You could hear the higher speed groan slightly worse when turning to the right. Sounded like a classic bad wheel bearing.

I checked the front and couldn't find any obvious play or issues. Considered tire cupping but the tires are fairly new and I don't see an issue there either.

Today I checked the rear and still couldn't determine any axle issues. I lifted the wheel and put the van in neutral so I could spin it. When I did I heard the creaking noise and found that it was coming from the transmission. I was expecting a bad pinion bearing. Maybe that is also bad and this is an issue on top of this, but I've never heard a transmission make this noise.

I know the pan is leaking. I always check the fluid and it's never dropped to any unacceptable level so I don't believe it overheated or ran low. It has always and still does shift and drive fine, but something is obviously wrong and I don't want to leave it for it to get worse.

Any insight is appreciated.

Video

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a van with a 4l80e. Recently I started hearing a groan at around 45-50mph, along with a squeak/creaking noise at very low speeds. You could hear the higher speed groan slightly worse when turning to the right. Sounded like a classic bad wheel bearing.

I checked the front and couldn't find any obvious play or issues. Considered tire cupping but the tires are fairly new and I don't see an issue there either.

Today I checked the rear and still couldn't determine any axle issues. I lifted the wheel and put the van in neutral so I could spin it. When I did I heard the creaking noise and found that it was coming from the transmission. I was expecting a bad pinion bearing. Maybe that is also bad and this is an issue on top of this, but I've never heard a transmission make this noise.

I know the pan is leaking. I always check the fluid and it's never dropped to any unacceptable level so I don't believe it overheated or ran low. It has always and still does shift and drive fine, but something is obviously wrong and I don't want to leave it for it to get worse.

Any insight is appreciated.

Video
Put that video on youtube - im not clicking on google drive links.

If you hear a screeching sound coming from the transmission when rotating the drive shaft by hand but dont feel anything binding, galling etc - it feels fine, that's the low roller one way clutch. A screeching roller clutch is a healthy clutch.

Beyond noise, do you have any drovability problems related to shifting or torque converter clutch function?

clutterhead

Reaction score
Video link updated.

No driveability problems. Only thing that has changed is the new noises I get when driving. The creaking you hear in the video at low speeds, and the groaning that sounds like a bad wheel bearing at higher speeds.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Video link updated.

No driveability problems. Only thing that has changed is the new noises I get when driving. The creaking you hear in the video at low speeds, and the groaning that sounds like a bad wheel bearing at higher speeds.
Yep - that's the low roller clutch. Yours sounds very healthy.

Jack your front end up to get the front wheels off the ground then grab each tire and the 6 and 12 oclock position and shake it. If it has play, your wheel bearing/hub assembly is bad and needs changing. If one is bad, replace them both. Also check suspension bushings, u joints and anything else that commonly wears (motor mounts, rear trans mounts, exhaust mounts, etc).

Do the same check for your rear wheels.

The "groaning" you're hearing at higher speeds could be anything...

clutterhead

Reaction score
Yep - that's the low roller clutch. Yours sounds very healthy.

Jack your front end up to get the front wheels off the ground then grab each tire and the 6 and 12 oclock position and shake it. If it has play, your wheel bearing/hub assembly is bad and needs changing. If one is bad, replace them both. Also check suspension bushings, u joints and anything else that commonly wears (motor mounts, rear trans mounts, exhaust mounts, etc).

Do the same check for your rear wheels.

The "groaning" you're hearing at higher speeds could be anything...

Thank you. I was watching your rebuild video series and when you got to the roller clutch install I was like thats the noise exactly haha. Good to know it's ok. I wonder why it just started making it's noise. Had the van for years and never heard it. I'm going to leave it alone either way.

I hear you on the groaning. I did exactly that on the front. I replaced the bearings a few years back, and I tracked down quality bearings. At least I know it's not the transmission. Can't thank you enough. I was starting to think about JY tranny pulls and rebuilds. I'll eventually figure out what the groan is and update hoping it helps out others.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I was watching your rebuild video series and when you got to the roller clutch install I was like thats the noise exactly haha. Good to know it's ok. I wonder why it just started making it's noise. Had the van for years and never heard it. I'm going to leave it alone either way.

I hear you on the groaning. I did exactly that on the front. I replaced the bearings a few years back, and I tracked down quality bearings. At least I know it's not the transmission. Can't thank you enough. I was starting to think about JY tranny pulls and rebuilds. I'll eventually figure out what the groan is and update hoping it helps out others.
You're welcome, man and thank you for the views. The low roller has been making that noise since the trans was built but it's very difficult, if not impossible to hear when the trans is working/vehicle moving...But as long as it sounds like that, you'll have forward movement, all other things equal (if that low roller fails, you won't move forward in any gear/range).

Let us know what you find out about the noise and fix.

clutterhead

Reaction score
You're welcome, man and thank you for the views. The low roller has been making that noise since the trans was built but it's very difficult, if not impossible to hear when the trans is working/vehicle moving...But as long as it sounds like that, you'll have forward movement, all other things equal (if that low roller fails, you won't move forward in any gear/range).

Let us know what you find out about the noise and fix.
No problem, glad to support. Those rebuild videos are great.

Another question. What fluid do you use when you rebuild these? I know it's been debated to death, but it's one of those things people have strong opinions on one way or another. I know that Dexron VI is said to be backwards compatible with most Dexron III applications, and I've seen the official list. But then I've read some people get into the specifics of how Dex III had more viscosity vs VI which is important in certain scenarios etc, etc.