98 C2500 popping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad shock in the back? I had one on my 1/2 ton that would make a quick two-pop sound when going over a driveway curb.

A broken exhaust pipe mount can do it, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I jacked up the front end and every joint isnt sloppy. All of my cab mounts are good so that checked out. I noticed that when I was jacking up my front end, I heard the noise and I swear it came from the rear end! I looked everything over and im completely dumfounded over what could be making this noise. I'm getting close to the I don't care anymore just drive it stage. Any one have any last ideas? I would also like to that everyone for responding. Thanks!
I just got done helping my brother with a rear end popping noise and an annoying driveline vibration in his 97 suburban 4x4. After weeks of searching here is what we found. Hopefully this helps.

1. Found the drivers rear spring shackle bolt was almost broken due to a cracked spring shackle (found this by accident when replacing the rear springs).

2. The rear springs had to be replaced due to the drivers rear spring was starting to sag. We measured a 1 1/2" difference from past to driver side.

3. The u-joints were toast, they didn't have play in them when checked them with the driveshaft still hooked up. Only found them bad when taking care of the rear end issue (#4).

4. The carrier (ring gear housing) in the rear end had two long fractures and had to be replaced.

5. When we pulled the axles the drivers rear axle was bent. (But the seal was not leaking and the wheel did not have an obvious wobble in it.

There was no previous body or frame damage to indicate the truck was ever in a wreck. The best we can figure out is either the previous owner hit something hard (curb, pothole, etc.) That caused the axle to bend and the other damage. Or someone our something impacted the drivers rear wheel with force. (Don't know has the truck has aftermarket wheels and tires from the previous owner).

I don't know if this helps any, but it may give you some direction and hope. I am not saying I am the best mechanic, but have been doing this for 30 years and it took me 3 weekends to finally figure out the issues. Hang in there, you will find it.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the problem is I just got new tires after the allingnment but, my old passenger front tire was worn out on the outside and there was still significant tread left on inside.
I notice you said you got tires after your alignment. If your passenger tire was worn out on the outside with good tread on the inside, then the alignment guy should have told you at a minimum that your alignment would be off until you get new tires. Me personally, I will not align a vehicle with bad tires on it or bad front end components, it is wasting a customer's time and money. Also, was just the passenger tire worn. If so look at A-arm bushings, cam alignment bushings, wheel bearings. Do checks with both weight on the suspension and off. Perform a wiggle test, have someone move the sterring wheel sharply back on forth with the vehicle running and the vehicle off while you inspect the front end. Do the wiggle test with weight on the front end and then no weight.

Hope this helps you out.