96 C3500 RCLB aka Stumpy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Put together a quick shifter console, out of some scrap wood. Will probably wrap it with some cheap vinyl.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm already looking, but once the trans swap is done, I'm wanting to get a K2xx console, to replace the jump seat, and have the shifter mounted in it.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put together a quick shifter console, out of some scrap wood. Will probably wrap it with some cheap vinyl.

I'm already looking, but once the trans swap is done, I'm wanting to get a K2xx console, to replace the jump seat, and have the shifter mounted in it.
Everything starts with a rough layout to get the feel for how it's going to work, then keep upgrading until you are happy. I am on my 3rd custom console and there is still room for improvement. As they say "The journey is just as important as the destination". In fact I enjoy the journey more to be honest.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Everything starts with a rough layout to get the feel for how it's going to work, then keep upgrading until you are happy. I am on my 3rd custom console and there is still room for improvement. As they say "The journey is just as important as the destination". In fact I enjoy the journey more to be honest.
Couldn't agree more. If I run out of stuff to do, I get bored, and that's when I start looking for a new project. Drives the wife nuts, but she knows the deal.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Dome light went out the other day, so ordered some LEDs for it, and the map lights.

Just the dome light...

Dome and map lights...

Dome, map, and overhead console lights...

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Finally diving into getting the driver door swapped, and getting the guts swapped into the passenger door.

Only pic for now...

Noticed something odd. My windows have a slight green tint to them, but the '97 parts truck windows are nearly clear, or at least, not green. Never noticed the green before, until I had both windows next to each other. Anyway, I had already decided to use my glass, which is surprisingly in better shape, than the '97.

Set the inner panels next to the truck, and plugged everything in, to make sure it was going to work. It did not, so I was checking wires, then got to thinking, I probably need a fuse or something, since this truck had manual windows. Sure enough, there are two circuit breakers that plug into the fuse box in the side of the dash. Grabbed them out of the parts truck, and bam, the power windows started working. Woohoo!

But before I put everything back together, I'm going to tint the windows, while they are out of the doors. Should make that super easy.

Also, I'm surprised at how easy it is to gut these doors. You can literally have an empty shell in less than 10 minutes.

Got a bunch of running around to do tomorrow, so this may not get finished till Sunday. I'm already excited. lol

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Finally diving into getting the driver door swapped, and getting the guts swapped into the passenger door.

Only pic for now...

Noticed something odd. My windows have a slight green tint to them, but the '97 parts truck windows are nearly clear, or at least, not green. Never noticed the green before, until I had both windows next to each other. Anyway, I had already decided to use my glass, which is surprisingly in better shape, than the '97.

Set the inner panels next to the truck, and plugged everything in, to make sure it was going to work. It did not, so I was checking wires, then got to thinking, I probably need a fuse or something, since this truck had manual windows. Sure enough, there are two circuit breakers that plug into the fuse box in the side of the dash. Grabbed them out of the parts truck, and bam, the power windows started working. Woohoo!

But before I put everything back together, I'm going to tint the windows, while they are out of the doors. Should make that super easy.

Also, I'm surprised at how easy it is to gut these doors. You can literally have an empty shell in less than 10 minutes.

Got a bunch of running around to do tomorrow, so this may not get finished till Sunday. I'm already excited. lol
Yup one of the breakers (the upper one) is for power locks and keyless entry, and the lower one is for power windows. And my '97, built in late September '96, has the pin style (little bitty blade terminals) instead of the big blades like the older trucks.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Dome light went out the other day, so ordered some LEDs for it, and the map lights.

Just the dome light...

Dome and map lights...

Dome, map, and overhead console lights...

I need to do that! Do you have part numbers and prices?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The map light bulbs will test your patience. Why GM would use that setup, is beyond me.
Thanks for the info and the heads up! Was working on my tie down bolts tonight, had to put the cargo lamp on and noticed it wasn't as bright as the last time I used it. One of those bulbs is burned out too. Oh well, it's always something with these ol' trucks, innit?
Least this is a minor problem!