'96 build, slow but steady

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
my 98 broke in the same place and i just got a frame from mid cab back out of the junkyard for 50 bucks im gonna be replacing it here in the next week or so but.... you did a good job fixing yours hope it works out for ya

ajbullins313

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also in the process of changing over my interior from that tan color to black and mine is coming along nicely. My advice is when you take out the rear overhead plastic that has those ridiculous long tabs, Trim those tabs so its easier to install and easier to take out the next time. I cut those tabs in half they were so much of a headache. Looks good, keep it up.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
my 98 broke in the same place and i just got a frame from mid cab back out of the junkyard for 50 bucks im gonna be replacing it here in the next week or so but.... you did a good job fixing yours hope it works out for ya
Thanks man. Yeah I think that's probably the way to go, I might get a new frame for this eventually. And damn 50 bucks, is it in good shape?

I'm also in the process of changing over my interior from that tan color to black and mine is coming along nicely. My advice is when you take out the rear overhead plastic that has those ridiculous long tabs, Trim those tabs so its easier to install and easier to take out the next time. I cut those tabs in half they were so much of a headache. Looks good, keep it up.
Thanks! I like the black look, still debating on whether or not to go full black everywhere or just some stuff like the dash etc. I think I might go all the way because the entire interior is badly stained and pretty worn (wasn't looked after before I bought it), and I really like the way the dash turned out, couldn't be any happier. I'll keep doing little things at a time (probably do the door handles soon, maybe the whole door panels, the rest of the dash...)

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
Im sorry to hear about your frame problem man, just dont give up, if worst comes to worst you could just replace the frame / part of the frame

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Got some work done to the truck, frame is still holding well, been hauling some with the truck, no problems yet.
Put new spark plugs in, made another trip to Nova Scotia, still getting nearly 21 mpg.
Painted the backrack, bought some steel rims and got some junk 245s to run for the summer, mounting them today if the rain quits. Passenger side inner door handle broke, so I picked another one up and also got 2 good 88-94 doors for $40, no rust, good windows etc.

Trying to track down a driver side "elephant ear" mirror so I can swap over to that style. My current plastic ones are getting beat up bad by trees out in the woods, the metal old school mirrors should take it better, plus I've always liked the look of them better.
Got a lock made for a door handle I had kicking around, so when I put that on (today, hopefully) I will finally be able to lock the truck. Just put a Sony CD player in, only reason for locking it lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

360'001 kms

These should make it work a lot better out in the woods, hahahaha. Pretty happy with how they turned out, I've been meaning to replace the old ones that were on the truck (almost nothing left when I got it) for awhile.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Still picking away at the truck. Put a door on the driver's side, looks like s*** but it's actually in really good shape, mounted up and it closes better than the one I had on there. No rust, the old one was all rotted out. Also put some real mirrors on (never been a fan of those plastic things, one twig hits them and they rattle around so bad on the highway you can't see anything out of them anyway, plus I like the old school look of these)

So I was just looking at my truck and all of a sudden this happened...

Really happy with how it turned out, we'll see how well it lasts. The chrome was all dinged up, and I don't much like it anyway, so I masked everything off (didn't do a perfect job but I don't care much, it's a work truck), sanded the bejesus out of it, shot it up with a couple coats of primer and around 4 coats of flat black. And before you ask, yes the mirrors are getting the same treatment, and yes that chrome trim around the wheel wells is going. Not sure about the bumper yet, I do have another smoothie in my basement so I guess I could paint one, and if I don't like it I could easily go back.

Anyhow, what do you think?