'96 build, slow but steady

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Wasn't going to start a build thread until the spring, but got a bit of work done to the truck recently.
This isn't a big-budget off road project, street build or anything. Just using what few tools and a little (very little) common sense to repair my truck/make it more practical.
Progress will be very slow, I'll come back to this thread when I do more.
And both my good cameras have blown batteries, so most of these are crappy cell phone pics. Arg.

Truck the day I bought it
You must be registered for see images attach

Needed some tlc, but she worked pretty good, had 328'000 kms on it.

...learned the hard way never to buy an old plow truck, unless you like spending a couple hundred bucks every few weeks on tie rod ends, wheel bearings, ball joints etc.

Took this pic today (sorry it's so dirty), but painted the rear bumper in the summer, found that backrack for $150 in Sussex (even has a set of hardwood stakesides and a canoe rack attachment...sweet!), my old tailgate posts rusted off so I picked that tailgate up in Fredericton for $30.

New to me tires, 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Territory, studded. Price was right, pretty much new so I grabbed 'em. Mine were 4-non matching mix of p-rated, lt-rated, bald old pieces of junk that sent me to the ditch a couple times. When I had bad ball joints I had two near completely bald tires, first snow of the year lost control and hit the ditch, I didn't care just me wasn't going fast. Second time I hit the guardrail merging onto the 4-lane in thick slush, that time I had my sister with me, didn't hurt anything but I figured getting myself killed is one thing, but I really didn't want to get my sister killed, so I forked out the $500 (that I barely had) for these. Haven't so much as fishtailed since.

First rear-end blew up after about 5'000kms, so I bought a parts truck from a friend with a rebuilt rear end and transmission for $600. Put this rear end in, it lasted probably another 5'000 and the bolt backed out that holds that pin in there for your spider gears. Needless to say it tore the rear end (that had been rebuilt in 2009, it was mint in there) to pieces. Picked up another one for $125, a posi-track and threw it in there.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
The old door looked ok but was pretty much shot, hinges were wore out, rusted out bad on the bottom

So...

I had this door off my parts truck that was actually in pretty good shape, the rest of the body was pretty much junk though

The parts truck is a '96 but he replaced the doors at some point off an '88, so I gutted that door right down so it was just a shell (window was broken so I pretty much had to do this anyways). I wanted my interior to match so I decided to swap everything off the door that was on the truck.

Old door, left it on the truck to work on it

Still haven't figured out the best way to get the window crank handle clip off, I tried running a cloth back and forth with little success, eventually got the clip off with a screwdriver

Pry off all these f***ing things

Swap the inside panel over to the new door so everything fits, I swapped over all the latch/handle mechanisms too. They are the same on the old doors, but the rods for the inside door handle are different lengths so I just pulled them and swapped them over. Getting the window in an out was a little tricky, I would advise anyone doing this job to sit back, have a cup of coffee, relax whatever, don't get frustrated. That's when things get broken.

Have to swap over all the little white clip things, they are different on the old door. Hook up your wires etc, putting the door on is a lot, and I mean A LOT easier with two people. I did it by myself. With my feet slipping on the ice beneath me. I'm not a small guy (6'4, 180 pounds), but I was sweating by the end of that job. Anyways here's the door attached, just needed the mirror put back on. I forgot to put the speaker back in...so I have to rip the cover back off and do that. Ugh.
Taking the door out and putting it back in is pretty straightforward, two pins plus a spring that needs to go in there (couldn't get any pics). Again, get a helper or two for that if you can.

Updates to come, soon...

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Got a little done to my truck in the past few days, nothing too exciting, but we've had such beautiful weather here in southern New Brunswick I had to do a little.
Sorry about the picture quality, the batteries are completely fried on my big Nikon and I can't find the f-ing battery grip to run it on AAs. So cell phone it is :nono:

I'm no bodyman by any stretch but I manage to keep rust at bay fairly well

Wheel wells were bubbling pretty bad, but it actually wasn't as bad under the paint as I feared

Had this dash out of my parts truck, sitting in the shed getting shat on by chickens, so I rescued it. Needs a cleaning and a coat of paint...

Haven't painted all the accessories yet...thoughts?

Now I can work in the dark, my trouble light is in dispose.

Sold this for my sister, now we're down to only 3 vehicles and one trailer in the yard

Going on a 1400km road trip fairly soon in the Chevy to Yarmouth, NS to visit my Grandfather. Should be a good trip, hopefully the truck holds up well (this would be the third time I've taken the truck to Nova Scotia -- the last time when I was lobstering near Barrington it was rusting in new places after a week....lol)

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Just got my insurance straightened out for another year ($1140 ugh, went to monthly-payments this time). I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a 14-bolt. Called a couple junkyards, argued with a guy for awhile (he insisted that NO 4x4 6-hub 14 exists, only 2wd. I beg to differ). Had better luck on Kijiji I think I might have one lined up for about $300, 6-hub 3.42 from a 4x4.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Between now and the beginning of summer I hope to have the following accomplished:
-14 bolt swap
-Crank front up a bit, not sure how far
-Remove box and get 2 spots on frame plated, new rear frame crossmember and a couple new box crossmembers. Not sure who I'm going to get to do it yet, don't trust my welding enough. Going to paint the frame when I have the box off.
-Set of headers of some kind, not sure which route I'm going to go, probably short-tube
-Some kind of performance exhaust. Dunno if I wanna stick with a single or go dual. Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially on muffler choice.