94 GMC K3500 Firewood/Work Truck - Quick Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Okay, so the 93 Duramax build got me back into the forums, and this build is one i'd like to share.

Over the last few years, i've found myself in more & more situations needing a 4x4 work truck with an 8 foot bed. I cut a lot of firewood, and need something strong enough to work, but nimble and light enough to take down into the timber. I also needed a truck that could do some grunt work and be a true work truck. Any of my midwest companions also know, that our winters destroy vehicles. Salt and such really force you to keep anything you care about out of the snow.

I have always wanted a RCLB K2500/3500. Anyone who knows me knows i'm an absolute sucker for the 92-94 garnet interiors. And i've always wanted a GMC. I have owned all Chevy's. And i didn't want to do just a grille swap. I really wanted a 350 truck, just due to the availability and affordability of the 350's. A small block would do pretty much everything i needed it to do. I wasn't sold on a 1 ton, and would've been absolutely fine with a 3/4 ton. Definitely wanted 8 lug though. Ultimately, the opportunity presented itself when i shelved my 94 CCSB. Thats a long story, but i basically will be getting into a new truck. And actually currently have a HD on order. I have too many projects, so that's going to collect dust until all of the other projects are done.

So after months of passively looking i found exactly what i wanted.

1994 GMC K3500 SLE 4x4 - TBI 454 / 4L80E / BW4401 / 4.10 Gears - 361k miles.

You must be registered for see images attach

I really wanted a red on red GMC, and i happened to find just that.

The package had everything i wanted, and while i originally didn't want a 454. However, in retrospect i'm glad it's a big block. This isn't a truck i intend to daily drive, and therefore the fuel economy isn't something i'm really worried about. But the power is nice to have. I didn't want a diesel since this was going to do a lot of winter driving and will sit for periods of time.

Day one, i swapped the seat and cleaned up the interior. Particularly all of the broken glass in the back seat.

I also did the 92-94 Blazer door panel mod to gain power mirrors.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Overall, the truck was exactly what i wanted. It was a rusty midwest farm truck, and had some issues but nothing that couldn't be fixed. I got it at a great price and was very happy in my patience to wait for exactly what i wanted.

Red on red GMC.

A few things that had to be fixed right away.

- Broken rear window
- Cracked windshield
- Blown brake line
- Exhaust Leak

I had accumulated a little pile of parts, and so PY0's were the first to be thrown on.

That was followed by the blazer panels and some 94+ power mirrors.

I then hit the nasty flares with a coat of flat black paint to bring back their original appearance.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
It was originally a fertilizer plant truck, and it was actually pretty clean underneath for being a midwest work truck. Never used as a plow truck, and i'm the third owner. It pretty much just hauled anhydrous tanks around.

Well i'm not a farmer, and had virtually no need for the DMI Quick II hitch/bumper.

So i swapped a OE rear bumper and really just kept driving it.

I won't lie, this truck probably means the least to me but it's one of my favorites. Just a perfect appearance in my mind.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
The interior is actually in pretty good shape. A little wear on the seat, but i don't really care for a work truck.

Good shot below of the rockers and cab corners. The truck has rust, but surprisingly the frame was in pretty good shape. No major scaly rust. I can tell this truck was probably stored in a big machine shed as it's really not in awful shape.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I drove the truck that entire summer and quite frankly, drove the wheels off it. It did everything i needed it to do. I love the feeling of a single cab. Nice small truck but packs a punch. Then winter came and I couldn't help myself.

Despite having the white crew cab in pieces, i decided this thing needed a freshen up. It's still a work truck, any many of you will probably think i'm nuts. But, i wanted to make it look a little nicer so it's something i want to hang on to. It'll still serve its purpose as a work truck, and will not be exempt from winter driving. But i wanted to clean it up so it can be something i can use for years to come.

So i stripped it apart.... LOL

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So i started by welding in some new rockers & cab corners.

I then painted the back half of the frame. Normally i would sandblast, but again work truck.

And after finding a broken shackle, i threw a new set of leaf springs on.

The leaf springs i don't have pictures of but they're brand new. I actually ordered 4 since the duramax project needed a pair.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
As for the paint & body work.

I'm self taught. I mentioned in my duramax thread that i made some rookie mistakes on my first paintjob. I've come a long way since then. In my eyes, anyone interested in restoring vehicles has two choices; Pay a premium to have paint work done or learn to do it yourself.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Fresh coat of Victory Red. (Fire Red technically)

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Reassembly went pretty well, all things considered.

Went right back to moldings. I loved the factory look far too much to go any other direction.