'94 GMC Sierra K2500 Headlights Not Working Right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same truck ('94 K2500, (7.4L) 454 V8.

Was trying to drive it last night, and about 2 minutes in, I began to smell a faint odor of something getting hot.

A couple minutes later, the headlights started to go out, and that faint odor of something hot started smelling like burning electronics, so I had to turn around and drive back — in the dark with no lights — to where I came from (it was lucky I was with someone so I could follow their car back, or else I wouldn't have been able to see). I found that wiggling the switch would make them flicker a bit, but they wouldn't stay on.

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, so to get things started, I'll ask concisely and succinctly:

What happened and why, and how do I fix it? :)

c

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have an electrical short that is overloading the switch and causing the plastic to melt. Definitely pull the switch as it will need replacing, and find the short before you have a fire.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you have an electrical short that is overloading the switch and causing the plastic to melt. Definitely pull the switch as it will need replacing, and find the short before you have a fire.
Very sound advice!

I will order a new switch and either have a look at the wiring myself, or take it to the mechanic (it's due for a tune up anyway, and unfortunately, I'm not equipped, nor do I have much time to do that myself).

c

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
From what I recollect about a similar thread I read on here, it sounds like the thermal breaker for the headlights is doing it's job. Look into the switch in the dash, but also the highbeam/lowbeam switch in the steering column. Those things get crusty over time, circuit generates heat and eventually magic smoke can be released once the circuit reaches peak ecstasy.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my '88 k 3500 years ago, I found that power feed from the switch had melted the connector that was behind the glove box after a bit of searching.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have yet to actually check any of the wiring, but I'd like to know what, if any parts I should get other than the switch.

Connectors? Wiring harnesses? Fuses?

Thank you!

c

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I have yet to actually check any of the wiring, but I'd like to know what, if any parts I should get other than the switch.

Connectors? Wiring harnesses? Fuses?

Thank you!

c
The only way to tell what parts that you will need is to take it apart and start looking for problems.