94 GMC 3500HD 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You need to check out the shop trucks link at the bottom of someotherguy's signature. Richard built a KILLER black one and a sweet silver one.
fabman's projects make mine look like I just bolted on some dress-up junk from Vatozone. The truck he's already built that he's talking about selling is a freaking beast; it's got Kodiak airride suspension and a Cummins, as well as a 9 speed.

Richard

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
fabman's projects make mine look like I just bolted on some dress-up junk from Vatozone. The truck he's already built that he's talking about selling is a freaking beast; it's got Kodiak airride suspension and a Cummins, as well as a 9 speed.

Richard

Are you going to build another 3500hd at some point? I always enjoyed reading about both of yours and are part of my inspiration for a 3500HD of my own in the future! I know of a crew cab about 20 miles away that has been sitting for a long time. Too bad I'm 16 and don't have money or space!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I don't really have use for one right now so I can't justify the time, effort, or space for one. I've got a company truck (brand new F450SD) that I get my work done with...and two considerably lighter ongoing truck projects to keep me busy and spending money. Glad you liked the builds though! If that crew cab has been sitting forever you can probably get it cheap. Save your cash up and go for it. What usually puts these trucks down is a bad 6.5TD engine...time for a gas swap! (or Cummins)

Richard

fabman

Reaction score
Man, Richard i wouldn't go that far !! I also read and looked at all your builds and that was some of the inspiration for me .here soon work will be slowing down and i will be posting some more progress.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Man, Richard i wouldn't go that far !! I also read and looked at all your builds and that was some of the inspiration for me .here soon work will be slowing down and i will be posting some more progress.
This seems like a lie lol

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dead thread bump?

What front axles are they typically using for these things? I have a 33 inch spring center on my 3500hd that I want to crew cab and 4x4 convert but older square body straight axles are 32 inch and Ford 60 fronts range from 36 to 39 inch or something. With front axles its likely easier to outboard the springs than move the perches in because of the pumpkin. Just wondering what the companies that have done it lots are doing.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Still ironic I said 4 years ago when I was 16 I would own one and how life has caught up and I do own one lol.

But from what I've seen they use a Dana 70 or a Dana 60 with 10 lug hubs. I haven't seen a HD in person that was converted to 4x4, but I've seen F-Supderduty trucks in person that were swapped and those were the axles they ran. I actually don't know what the width is for the leafs on these trucks but IIRC they are close to Ford dimensions.

All the conversions were leaf over axle, but for what I want I would like to go with a leaf under setup. I already have to hack the engine crossmember for my cummins, and I'll have to hack it even more to tuck the pumpkin under there too while allowing anough room for the suspension to compress. But I'd not doing that for a while.