91 chevy ext. cab 5 speed...will iy hold up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
As far as I know, the WC vs regular T5 was only the syncros....if anything else was changed, it didn't help a whole lot lol.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I think the rear bearings where supposed to be upgraded too. Can't remember, but all I gotta do is dig one out of the ditch of crap parts I've got behind the shop. Strewn with T5s, 46REs, Jeep aluminum Dana 44s and Dodge 4.7 heads. There is other total crap parts in there too, just imagine all the junk built in the last 20 years and there is probably one of them there.

89chevc1500

Reaction score
did chevy put the same 5speed in 89 trucks as in 91 with 350? I have been wonderin what was in my truck. From a little research I had thought I narrowed it down to a NV3500 in mine. Am I wrong?

shrekmoose

Reaction score
My truck has the nv3500 in it too just how bad are the 3500s? This truck will never make massive power maybe some tbi mods and I.may get into the data logging and tuning side of things. My main concern is I'm looking to sas the truck in the next year or so providing the funds are there. How's it gonna hold up to all this?

89chevc1500

Reaction score
SHREKMOOSE: from what I have read they are a reputable trans for stock to mild performnce upgrades. Sas shouldnt have any effect on trans though unless u go crazy on tire size. Just my 2cents

shrekmoose

Reaction score
any idea what transfer cases will bolt up to this thing? I honestly would like to run a 10 bolt sounds crazy i know, but this truck wont see alot of rock crawling or offroading. And we have so many spare axles and parts for the 10 bolts laying around I dont think i would ever run out. It would be ideal if a 205 would bolt up to it and the shifter would be resonable. If not any other ideas?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You can get an adapter to run virtually any transfer case.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The NV3500 didn't come out until 1993. Before that it was called the HM290 and it was crap. They had smaller bearings (until 1990) and a ridiculously complicated shift mechanism.