91 chevy ext. cab 5 speed...will iy hold up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superninja427

Reaction score
I'm about to do some things to my truck such as vortec heads, intake, cam, and carb most likely. Will my stock 5 speed hold this or will it start breaking/tearing stuff up? If this will hold up I'm also thinking about putting a small turbo on it also..will it hold up this too?

blue_92_sierra

Aftermath
Reaction score
It should hold up, judging from your sig you have a 91 which means its a 700r4. Those tranny's are pretty good and i know some guys run 383 strokers with the 700r4, which is pushin 400+hp

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5 speeds are a rare breed in any car. some will take 400hp over and over and some will break at the first launch on 200hp..

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a friend with the light duty 5 speed behind a 350 in his 94, and with just small mod's, he grenaded it twice!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the specs on the other 5-speeds, but with any manual trans, it's not hp that blows them up, it's torque. HP is what blows up automatics. Now, the T-5 is rated at only 300lbs-ft(torque), which is just a bit over the rated engine torque on most the trucks that had T-5's. First you need to find the specs on that trans and see how much torque it'll hold....and that's ofcourse the max safe torque you'd apply to a NEW trans, with your's being 21yrs old, I wouldn't attempt any mods except tbi-related....not without a rebuild/replace of the trans.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
During my 5spd research I read about a lot of blown up light duty ones...that's why I went NV4500.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
T-5 is crap. I've grenaded them on stock 80s 5.0 cars and I've grenaded T45(T-5 for the mod motors) on stock 4.6 motors. Doesn't matter if it is "World Class" or not, they suck.