'89 Camaro 350 roller motor going in my '90 K1500 SWB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked up a 350 roller cam motor from an 89 IROC Z Camaro. Gonna put it in place of my high mileage, tired, knocking, oil burning 305.

I just got the motor on the stand last night. The 350 came with the complete TPI setup, but I won't be using it in my truck. I already started pulling it off the motor. Still have to get the lower manifold off, need to get another torx bit yet. Also had the front accessories and I pulled those off too.

Current plans for now are to reuse my truck intake, exhaust manifolds, throttle body, (going to ad 350 injectors), upgraded y pipe, new water pump, oil pump, front, rear main seals, get the block, heads inspected, cleaned and I'll paint them up.

Things I would like to add, funds permitting. Carb manifold with tbi adapter, mid length or long tube headers and most likely a custom tune first thing. Here are some pics of the motor so far. Gonna try to get the motor disassembled after work this week. Stay tuned for updates.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's odd, did you click the links? They work fine for me. The pics are in my album in my profile. Maybe someone could post them up for me?

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Here ya go. (put
You must be registered for see images
after)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Looking good. My only advice at this point is keep your injectors matched to your PROM chip. It can do a lot more to tune itself if it knows what its doing instead of just having to guess because the injectors are bigger than its expecting. If you are going to custom tune it, why not get a 454 TB. They bolt on.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MsChevy- Thank you! I'll remember that for posting the next round of pics.

Looking good. My only advice at this point is keep your injectors matched to your PROM chip. It can do a lot more to tune itself if it knows what its doing instead of just having to guess because the injectors are bigger than its expecting. If you are going to custom tune it, why not get a 454 TB. They bolt on.

Good call on injectors, for now I will keep the stock injectors till I get the chip programmed then go to 350 injectors. Ive heard the 454 tbi isn't needed with the proper tune and injectors.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have the pic posting figured out. Finally got the intake off. That was no fun, I broke 2 torx bits and had to go to sears for some bolt/nut extractor sockets and they worked great but 2 bolt heads broke off the bolts.

I still have to remove the cam crank and pistons then the heads block and crank will be going to the machine shop for inspection and any needed machine work. From what I can tell so far, the cylinders look good and should only need honing.

Here are some pics of where I'm at with the motor so far

Yep, I confirmed I have a roller cam!
attachment.php

One broken manifold bolt in each head
attachment.php

attachment.php

Im going to wash my truck now so I can post up pics of the truck that the motor is going into.

Last edited:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres my truck, its a work in progress. Needs a little body work here and there (come spring time) but mostly solid. Guess this thread is gonna be a truck build thread not just motor build.

This is with the winter wheels/tires
attachment.php

Gonna pick up some oem style fender flares and some black abs bed rail covers soon

I recently got these wheels for my truck
attachment.php

They are 16x8 Pro Comp wheels, aluminum with black powder coat. Im going with 265 75 16" tires, just not sure what kind yet.