88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Pressure washed it off and pulled it into the garage.... It's begun.
You must be registered for see images attach

Started with pulling the bed, and will continue on stripping it down from there.

Setup some bins for fasteners, will help in the process

So, since many people keep asking WHAT the plan is with it.... here is a basic outline.

Stripping the truck down to a frame, clean, paint, etc. New springs, shocks, mounts... Possibly a SYE. New rear axle. Then comes vortec MPFI and all underhood accessories, a 0411 PCM. More cleaning and painting.

A bunch of wiring will be happening for lights and such as well. I'm sure that will be time consuming...

Interior will be grey, 98 dash, two tone z71 tahoe heated leather seats, double din... the works.

Then paint/Bodywork.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pressure washed it off and pulled it into the garage.... It's begun.

Started with pulling the bed, and will continue on stripping it down from there.

Setup some bins for fasteners, will help in the process

So, since many people keep asking WHAT the plan is with it.... here is a basic outline.

Stripping the truck down to a frame, clean, paint, etc. New springs, shocks, mounts... Possibly a SYE. New rear axle. Then comes vortec MPFI and all underhood accessories, a 0411 PCM. More cleaning and painting.

A bunch of wiring will be happening for lights and such as well. I'm sure that will be time consuming...

Interior will be grey, 98 dash, two tone z71 tahoe heated leather seats, double din... the works.

Then paint/Bodywork.
It already looks naked!

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn’t realize it needed much body work or paint but that passenger door is looking faded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It looks like it skipped leg day. You gotta get some tires to compliment that lift! ;)
Good thing you're here. I'm pretty positive he wouldn't have thought about that without you pointing it out. He's still pretty new to the truck scene and all :rolleyes:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
I didn’t realize it needed much body work or paint but that passenger door is looking faded
Back in college I hit a bollard pretty hard, caved the rocker panel of the door in, cab corner and the bed.... I grabbed this door at a swap meet, it's actually a newer color and doesn't match the truck at all (as you can see) but was better than the giant dent.

It's got little dings and stuff all over (it is 30 YO) but mostly it's just the paint is oxidized from age. Also the bedsides are falling apart, I have replacements for that as well.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Since the forums aren't the easiest to update, I have been more regular and active on a couple Facebook GMT400 groups, and even more active on Instagram @88GMCtruck... But, here is the update. I've been busy. :)

Got the front clip blown off.

Then got everything disconnected from the cab and pulled the seats out.

Then used the engine hoist and the help of a friend to remove the cab and set it aside. (yes the receiver is in the back of the cab to balance it out!)

First time the cab and bed have ever been off this truck.

Started with a good pressure washing of the frame. Need to get all the gunk off it.