88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Prefer the caps, looks stock.

But you know I prefer a stock look if possible.....;)

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Very nice as always. GM should say to hell with the GMT-whatever (2014 Silverado/Sierra), and just start building trucks like you made this one. IMO.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Hey 88GMCTruck, how hard was it to swap over to that 5 speed? I'd like to consider swapping a 5 speed into my 6.5 to use mechanical injection

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
looks like an awesome truck! reminds me of what i would like to do someday to my stepside

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Prefer the caps, looks stock.

But you know I prefer a stock look if possible.....;)
I know you do. How you been, haven't seen you around good sir.

Very nice as always. GM should say to hell with the GMT-whatever (2014 Silverado/Sierra), and just start building trucks like you made this one. IMO.
:lol: I would not argue with that.

Hey 88GMCTruck, how hard was it to swap over to that 5 speed? I'd like to consider swapping a 5 speed into my 6.5 to use mechanical injection
It wasn't hard at all, it's all factory parts. Look through my started threads, I have one about the swap and there are others who have posted about it as well.

looks like an awesome truck! reminds me of what i would like to do someday to my stepside
Thanks. Gotta love a stepside.

Sent from my big block powered HTC gas guzzler.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Okay, i'll keep my eye out for junked 5 speeds for parts.. I'll go look at a few of your earlier posts. I bet that 454/NV4500 gets it with a short wheelbase like yours

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just stumbled onto this thread today and read the entire thing.

I enjoyed your thread on the '99 and also enjoyed this one. Nice to see a truck that's been in the family so long get some love when it gets older. I imagine when my kid gets older, he will get to enjoy my 454SS in the same way. I bought it in 1991 (February). It's 22 year anniversary is coming soon.

I suggest the Gray new style interior (I have one old and one new - the newer interior is much more funtional). Also I like the wheels with the caps & lug nut covers. I've always been a fan of 'factory' appearing modifications. I've been on the fence with wheel choices for my 8 lug truck. I wanted a set of PYO's, but they seem to be made of gold around here. I could buy a brand new set of MickeyTs and just use my OEM caps cheaper than a set of used/abused PYOs. Plus I can get a little more width/offset to make the narrow rear end look better in my truck.