88-98 HI-4 Headlight relay kit NEW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you getting just the 4 hi kit or the HD harness? I saw harnesses under discussion an didn't look at the thread. I'm not sure how the 4-hi only hooks up, but I assume there will be splicing for that only.

ya i was talking the 4 hi setup, the hd harness i dont really see why i need it if my own works fine....plus with the hids i plan to order it comes with an hd wiring harness

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya i was talking the 4 hi setup, the hd harness i dont really see why i need it if my own works fine....plus with the hids i plan to order it comes with an hd wiring harness

Where are you buying hids from? The extra current draw through the headlight switch with hids is extra hard on it since its overworked as is, plus you don't get full voltage at the ballasts which can lead to only one lighting when you turn them on. They draw a large amount of current at startup.

If your planning on a cheap 15-30 dollar harness plan on reworking it in about 3 months...

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where are you buying hids from? The extra current draw through the headlight switch with hids is extra hard on it since its overworked as is, plus you don't get full voltage at the ballasts which can lead to only one lighting when you turn them on. They draw a large amount of current at startup.

If your planning on a cheap 15-30 dollar harness plan on reworking it in about 3 months...

a buddy of mine has a nbs and is running retrofit morimotos and hasnt had any probs with the morimotos so i was thinking about running a set of those for my lows in 6k

this
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3957

may end up getting this too
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=20850

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine has a nbs and is running retrofit morimotos and hasnt had any probs with the morimotos so i was thinking about running a set of those for my lows in 6k

IIRC they have relays that operate the lighting circuit from the factory. Gmt400s do not.

Sent from somewhere in MN

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The wiring is different in newer trucks. All the power for your lights runs through the headlight switch an the dimmer wheel for the gauge lighting. There is a lot of resistance there, if your alternator is putting out 14.2 volts at the battery an you check the voltage at the headlight plug it will probably be around 11.8-12 volts.

The HD harness pulls right from the battery an give the lights the full 14.2 volts your alternator is putting out. It only uses the factory wiring to turn the relays on which takes that load off the factory wiring an switch. Ever noticed how hot the headlight switch gets if you drive a long period with the lights on? The HD harness will pretty much eliminate that an the lights will be brighter because of the higher voltage...

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wiring is different in newer trucks. All the power for your lights runs through the headlight switch an the dimmer wheel for the gauge lighting. There is a lot of resistance there, if your alternator is putting out 14.2 volts at the battery an you check the voltage at the headlight plug it will probably be around 11.8-12 volts.

The HD harness pulls right from the battery an give the lights the full 14.2 volts your alternator is putting out. It only uses the factory wiring to turn the relays on which takes that load off the factory wiring an switch. Ever noticed how hot the headlight switch gets if you drive a long period with the lights on? The HD harness will pretty much eliminate that an the lights will be brighter because of the higher voltage...

not quite sure what yall are telling me

are yall saying dont get the morimoto hids and that splitter or what? im pretty sure that the morimotos come with the hd harness

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ok so your looking at $180 for that setup. You can do the same thing with barons harness at $96 shipped and a set of hids from ddm tuning at $30/set an save some money. You could have high an low beam hids for the same 180 price tag...

I've had my ddm hids for over a year now trouble free an they have a lifetime warranty.