School me on relays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@GoToGuy
Was it my hand drawn diagram you were referring?
My understanding was OP wanted auxiliary fans ONLY when a/c was activated at idle, then being able to turn them off at speed-running the switches in series would allow that.

I could have drawn the diagram better, the input for the toggle switch would just be T’ed off of the a/c switch, or compressor clutch, or pressure switch etc… also, terminal 86 is fed switched power on both relays. People keep saying there’s no ground so maybe it isn’t my diagram :Moon:
A relay is remotely mounted electricity operated switch. When you send power to relay you energized the coil closing the contact on the load side sending higher electric energy. Each relay needs ground to complete activation. Both have load circuits but only the left has activation ground. The right has incomplete activation circuit. If it not shown it does not exist.
Electricity is a little like water, always wanting to find the shortest route to ground, and a little math , Ohms law, you can make it all balance.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A relay is remotely mounted electricity operated switch. When you send power to relay you energized the coil closing the contact on the load side sending higher electric energy. Each relay needs ground to complete activation. Both have load circuits but only the left has activation ground. The right has incomplete activation circuit. If it not shown it does not exist.
Electricity is a little like water, always wanting to find the shortest route to ground, and a little math , Ohms law, you can make it all balance.
Ok… I still dont see the missing ground though

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely aside from wiring schematics--Be sure the fans don't cover so much of the condenser surface that they BLOCK airflow at speed.

"I" would get a bigger, better engine-driven fan from a Diesel, or a newer truck, or whatever, and perhaps a fan clutch to match, and leave all the electric fan stuff behind.

rob249

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely aside from wiring schematics--Be sure the fans don't cover so much of the condenser surface that they BLOCK airflow at speed.

"I" would get a bigger, better engine-driven fan from a Diesel, or a newer truck, or whatever, and perhaps a fan clutch to match, and leave all the electric fan stuff behind.

This is interesting, could I possibly just use a radiator, fan, and fan shroud from a 6.5? I know it was an engine option for my Yukon.

I can keep the AC blowing cold if I go to neutral and throttle to 1000rpms. I put a hydra chip on my powerstroke that allows me to set a higher idle, does such a device exsist for our TBI's? My diesel is a manual however, an auto might not like those rpms at a stop.

Im also looking into some more "exotic" options, Possibly the dual AC from a suburban. Seems like a not too difficult fabrication.

Also considering a dual alternator kit and running a 12v electric AC such as this;
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This would have some added benefits. Having two alternators would give redundancy to my charging system, and give me the option of plugging into an outlet or generator for cooling while camping.

Your thoughts?