Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ive been having an issue with the horns in my 1990 GMC Sierra SLE K2500. It has a 350 turbo 400 in it. I Had removed the wiring harness and horns to paint and retape. So long story short everything is hooked back up and grounded properly. I have power to the 20 amp fuse that I believe is what the horn is hooked up to and I have power to my relay under the dash. I don't have power at the top of the steering column right where the button would make contact. The relay does not click it is also new. I guess its an under dash wiring issue I would think.

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, thoughts. I can elaborate more on the situation I just wanted to get it out there!
The truck is very clean inside and out the wiring has been hacked on a bit but I pretty much straightened it all out.
I also have a brake light issue too but that is a issue for another time!

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turn Signal light harness connector loose on the steering column?

Reaction score
is that that white connector of like ten wires that clips to the side of the column? or is it that other one that slides left and right looks like a half circle almost. everything is plugged in and hooked up. I can certainly get some pictures tomorrow !

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first one, i think the half moon thing is the neutral switch , i would check if you have power in and out both sides of appropriate pin on that connector, you may have a busted connector or a loose pin not making contact

Reaction score
hey thank you! yeh im thinking its between the bottom and top of the column but its just so strange because I didn't really touch any of that stuff. I did change my brake like switches. but that was after the horn issue.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have power at the top of the steering column right where the button would make contact.
Horn buttons usually complete the ground circuit. If you’re using a test light, you can back probe the connection that leads up the column. When you find the horn wire it will honk and surprise everyone standing around in the area :anitoof:

Try putting the old relay back in as an easy verification test too.

The horns are grounded through their mounting brackets, scrape off any of the new paint and make sure there’s a clean connection between the bracket and the core support.