Electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smiths93c

Reaction score
So i have a 98 z71 and i just put a new engine in it. And it wont even try to start unless weight is shifted towards the passenger side, either rocking the cab or sitting closer to the passenger seat. Im thinking wiring issue. Because moving the harness around makes a difference. Just not exactly sure what it possibly be. I really need to get this truck running soon. Its a birthday present for my dad. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First when describing a malfunction. Be very clear, as to what you do ( action ) and what the result is . " Don't start , what duh I do? " Nope this. > Insert key, turn to run, no inst. lights, turn to start, nothing no clicks./. Turn to start, does not turn over. / Turn to start, bang head on wheel , cranks but no start.
What you do and describe what happens. We , hundreds, aren't looking over your shoulder. We are blind, so you must describe the event. Recheck all electrical connections. Recheck all grounds clean and tight. Since it happened after you touched it. You need to recheck everything you touched. Moving wires does something. What, where do they go? Loose connection, connector ? Loose ground? Start with the basics. From what little info, somebody forgot something.

Smiths93c

Reaction score
When i turn the key on, both blinker indicators and the high beam indicator comes on. And when i the weight is shifted to the passenger side the dash lights up normally. It also cranks like the starter isn’t getting consistent power.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you "shifting weight" on the SEAT or on the DASHBOARD or somewhere else, or some combination?

First Guess: Missing ground strap(s) from instrument cluster to body, and/or body to engine