77Conours's 2003 Duramax ECSB Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks good shoulda went with white letters on the tires though

Thanks Jake, if I wasn't smoking/blacking things out on my truck I might have had the letters out. But, I'm also really **** about white letters when I'm applying tire shine after cleaning my truck. I learned my lesson on my Nova about keeping those clean and tire shine off.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Thanks Jake, if I wasn't smoking/blacking things out on my truck I might have had the letters out. But, I'm also really **** about white letters when I'm applying tire shine after cleaning my truck. I learned my lesson on my Nova about keeping those clean and tire shine off.

I never use tire shine I just use bleech white

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got my window motor fixed Tuesday with a new AC Delco unit and scheduled it to get the front windows re-tinted. Called Pypes today and placed an order for a 5" inlet 7" outlet 18" long powder coated black monster exhaust tip today, since I'm picking it up at the Carlisle swap meet next weekend with show pricing and me paying cash it should be right around $60 or so. Really excited to get my exhaust and lift pump on finally!

You must be registered for see images attach

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought you were getting a stack(s)?

Well I thought about it for a few weeks and it would have been too loud. That and the stacks from Pypes have exposed piping in the bed unlike Soflo stacks that have a plate over the hole cut in the bed so it looks clean and you have slightly more room in the bed. A 7" black miter would have looked freaking cool but the even the tech I was assigned to talk to said that riding in the Duramax that Pypes takes to shows its just way too loud for a daily.

A stack is also just an invitation to whoever thinks they have a big d**k and feels the need to rev their engine or wants to race (ricers, other diesels, late model muscle) and I put up with that enough when I drove my Nova everyday, time to be an adult lol.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little update, don't get too excited:

Went to spring Carlisle 2 weeks ago and didn't really buy all that much. Sold some car parts I had around the house to make some extra cash. Only things I bought for my truck was the exhaust tip I wanted from Pypes, a new license plate, and a "Pennsylvania Coal Rollers" vinyl sticker in blue for my back window. Saved $50 on the exhaust tip so I can't complain and this thing is HUGE in person. Should look good on the truck though.

Since I had $700 to spend and only dropped $97 I ordered a BD Full Bore driver side exhaust manifold. Plus I went to a local GM dealer and picked up two new gaskets for the manifold. For those who don't know, the driver side exhaust manifold on most of the earlier Duramaxes were pinched to allow clearance for the steering shaft. Well, the clearance isn't needed and that pinch obviously reduces flow. The BD manifold doesn't have a pinch and is tapped for an EGT probe which is perfect because I have gauges to go in and drilling the passenger side manifold can lead to it cracking eventually. No real performance gains but it lowers EGTs a bit and some say the exhaust sounds a little different. But for under $200 (including the price of the two gaskets at the Chevrolet dealer) I can't beat it.

Also the other night I noticed one of my headlights was out when I was leaving the pizza shop in my neighborhood. Really didn't want to buy HID's at this point because I want projector housings (no money for those at the moment) which are $190 shipped. So I opted for all new high and low bulbs. Everyone here seems to be loyal to HIR's but I didn't want the local law enforcement hassling me so I bought Sylvania ZXE 9005's and 9006's. Supposedly they're the closest thing to HID's so I tried them. Cheapest I found them was $105 for both sets including tax so I grabbed them and installed them during the day. Drove home from work during dusk so I couldn't see their full potential. Since my parents were out of town and I had to go grocery shopping I went at 9:30 and I'm impressed at the output and quality. They don't look blue or anything when looking at them in the headlight housings but when they hit road signs you can sort of see how they resemble HID bulbs. The road is lit up beautifully too. They're not HID's but I like them so far for a regular bulb.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fixed my passenger door courtesy light, Best Buy must have knocked something loose during my system install because when I got the truck back it didn't work, so I played with it a little and got it working right again, no idea what had caused it to not light up. But its fixed, I'm throwing around the idea of putting my blue LEDs back in but inclement weather halted that. Got some pictures of the sticker and license plate I bought at Carlisle last month. Opted not to put the Confederate flag back on only because I might be meeting some family friends that work in law enforcement this summer so the plate won't look appropriate.

Pardon the bug guts on the plate, my truck is filthy.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Profab intake horn showed up today, and truck goes in for a lube, oil, and filter tomorrow. Would have done the oil change myself but I cut up my hand pretty bad last night moving an air conditioner for my girlfriends mom. For those who don't know the metal on the back of those things is freaking sharp!