77Conours's 2003 Duramax ECSB Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that is one of the reasons I didn't get a diesel was worried about injectors or other major problems that could occur and not being able to afford to fix it having to pay payment and what not

Same here.

To the OP what is your truck averaging MPG wise?

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That Blue :drool:

Thanks! I wasn't actually looking for a blue truck again (wanted black or white) but it fell into my lap one evening when searching online, when washed and waxed it really pops.

Nah, they're not that bad.

The big thing on the LB7 is the injectors and the seals on the injector cups. the Injector cups are usually installer error.

The injectors can be replaced at home and they can be bought separately if one fails. The truck even tells you which one to replace.

The problem is buying a high mileage one. You're in for some maintenance unless the PO did it.

Most guys get rid of the Duramax trucks right before the big maintenance items crop up.

Like injectors.

If it's been "hot rodded" maintenance items come up even quicker or, gawd help you, things like a collapsed or cracked piston crown...

What GW said. Luckily my injectors were replaced at some point before I bought it, and it has 161,*** on it right now. So they should be due around the 200,000 mark which is a little while yet. LB7's are also emission free (unless you buy a California truck BUT there are delete kits on the market). A crucial part that should be purchased almost immediately is a lift pump, which I have, just needs to be installed.

Same here.

To the OP what is your truck averaging MPG wise?

When it was warm when I bought the truck I was getting around 16 combined. Not the greatest but I was still getting used to the way the truck drove. Once I install EFI Live and run an economy tune I should be getting anywhere from 18-21 (Kory Willis tunes). Since winter rolled around I now run an additive to keep the fuel from gelling and obviously its cold in PA so my MPG's have dropped slightly to around 13-14.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We had our first real winter storm yesterday/last evening. About 3" of snow followed by freezing rain and I had a date that evening so I drove my 800 in the snow for the first time.

Started off in 2WD and I started to slide right away even with some snow laying in the bed. So I put it in 4HI and got traction but had to take it slow since my tires are worn down pretty bad. This was my first time using electronic 4x4, and it was meh. I think I prefer manually engaging four wheel drive on the floor like my 400. Fresh tires would have helped too....might just throw on a 3" BL and some big tires. Yesterday was one of those days I wish I had it back. Last year at this time it had brand new 35" Dick Cepek Fun Country II's and was a tank in the snow.

*Sigh* If only the frame was cleaner :whymewhyme:

You must be registered for see images attach

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome truck! duramax will be my next truck aswell. my brother has an '05 he had it for about a week and had to replace the engine to do the heads essentially melting :/ since then its been awesome! it still rides decent being lifted 6" on 37s

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
When it was warm when I bought the truck I was getting around 16 combined. Not the greatest but I was still getting used to the way the truck drove. Once I install EFI Live and run an economy tune I should be getting anywhere from 18-21 (Kory Willis tunes). Since winter rolled around I now run an additive to keep the fuel from gelling and obviously its cold in PA so my MPG's have dropped slightly to around 13-14.

Winter diesel mix also kicks the crap out of your MPG's. You can count on at least a 2 MPG drop once they push it out to the stations. It's the cetane drop that comes with the anti-gel additives that does it.

Started off in 2WD and I started to slide right away even with some snow laying in the bed. So I put it in 4HI and got traction but had to take it slow since my tires are worn down pretty bad. This was my first time using electronic 4x4, and it was meh. I think I prefer manually engaging four wheel drive on the floor like my 400. Fresh tires would have helped too....might just throw on a 3" BL and some big tires. Yesterday was one of those days I wish I had it back. Last year at this time it had brand new 35" Dick Cepek Fun Country II's and was a tank in the snow.

Diesel pickups tend not to do as well as gassers in 2wd and snow. It has to do with the 400-600 extra pounds hanging over the front wheels. As soon as you pop 4x4 the story flips though; all that weight makes the fronts grab like a:

Last edited:

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just read this. Love the color of the truck. Get some meat on those rims and the snow will not be a problem....................

(says the guy from Alabama)

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome truck! duramax will be my next truck aswell. my brother has an '05 he had it for about a week and had to replace the engine to do the heads essentially melting :/ since then its been awesome! it still rides decent being lifted 6" on 37s

I wasn't a huge fan of the 2003-2007 body styles but its definitely grown on me, if you can get an LBZ. IMO its one of the best years plus you have the 6 speed Allison. Just keep up on the maintenance and you'll be set :waytogo:

Winter diesel mix also kicks the crap out of your MPG's. You can count on at least a 2 MPG drop once they push it out to the stations. It's the cetane drop that comes with the anti-gel additives that does it.

This is true, but I can deal with it for a few months instead of having a major problem with my truck due to bad fuel. Not sure if they put it in the gas stations around here yet.

Just read this. Love the color of the truck. Get some meat on those rims and the snow will not be a problem....................

(says the guy from Alabama)

Thanks! I'm thinking a 3" body lift and 35" tires with 18" rims, a 6" lift might be tough to do at this point due to college.

I've lived in PA all my life but want to move to Georgia. Went down once to visit a family friend and didn't want to leave. Warm weather, and friendly folks.

Last edited:

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck got Dynamat and new door speakers installed last Thursday at Best Buy. I was missing the harness to my Alpine head unit (it was left in my old truck) so they couldn't install the head unit, XM tuner, amp, or subwoofers :pp: and I'm not sure when I'll have time to get the rest of the work done but I did get the harness I needed off of eBay.

Ordered an Allison NSBU switch for my transmission since the originals are known for crapping out since they are exposed to the elements but I got one for $103 shipped from Merchant Automotive. The NSBU, fuel filter, and fuel filter housing all get replaced next Thursday so the truck should be running excellent then. Never enough money haha.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well. I've been pretty lazy to get pictures but I finally got my stereo finished last month and its awesome. I've done a lot of maintenance on this thing though.

So far:
-New fuel filter housing and filter
-NSBU on the transmission
-New window switch
-Window actuator motor is getting done tomorrow
-Oil change
-New wheel hubs next week

Not too much "fun" stuff but I did put some LEDs in the courtesy lights under the mirrors, and got my stereo done. I decided to lift it but changed my mind almost 2 weeks after. I'm interested to see how fast these trucks can go (within reason regarding stock injectors, turbo). But some good news!

I entered a contest of Facebook for Pypes exhaust. They were looking for vehicles with decent undercarriages for pictures, and videos on their exhaust installs. Since they do diesel trucks I entered. Today I got a message back saying I won 50% off a 5" stack kit to a 7" stack with a free install! I wasn't really going to do a stack but for $265 for a whole stainless kit I'd be out of my mind not too! It will be an offset black miter cut stack. I have to schedule a date to have them install it but it should be within a few weeks. Good thing I like my vehicles loud.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck got two new Timken wheel hubs installed last Thursday and it didn't solve a small vibration I had coming from the front of the truck. So I got my front wheels balanced and the right front had a broken cord in it.....luckily I worked 74 hours over spring break because I ordered new tires from the same shop today. I went with Kelly Safari TSR's thanks to Jake's build thread. Although they will be 265/75r16 because I don't have money for 285's or the time to make them fit. I can't wait to see how they look compared to my worn out Uniroyal Laredo's that came on the truck when I bought it. Shop I got them from cut $70 off the normal walk in customer price, I guess it pays to have friends in the automotive field!

The body shop guy said nothing was wrong with my window motor even though the following day I put it down and it wouldn't go back up....I pushed it back up manually but it has yet to be fixed. Hoping to get that fixed once my tires are paid off. I finally took some pictures of my stereo, not that different then my '95.