6.5L diesel ignition switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Hey folks,
The guy I work with runs a 1997 GMC C3500HD, 6.5 diesel/5-speed. Today after leaving the woods, she quit. Just like shutting the key off. Whirled it over for awhile, nothing. After much annoyance spending several hours off and on testing this and testing that (initially I though PMD which has recently been replaced -- but not relocated :banghead: -- on the truck), I'm pretty sure the ignition switch is shot.
The reason I say that is that when you turn the key on, the radio comes on and seat belt light comes on, but no glow plugs/engine light etc. It will whirl over forever, but not so much as a kick. Turn the key to off and back to on 15 or 20 times and if you're lucky one time, all the lights will come on as usual and it will start right up and run the very best. Driving down the road, hit the turn signal, and she quits. Same thing.

Now, as I said I'm not 100% sure it's the switch assembly, but it seems pretty plausible. I've read quite a few people have replaced them, but installation instructions seem pretty vague, I think I can figure it out but if anybody has any pointers they would be appreciated.

My main question is, are switches interchangeable from any 96-99 GM truck? I can't seem to find any definitive answer to this anywhere. Being that it's a major pain in the ass to replace, I don't want to just throw parts at it that aren't going to work. If you guys with more electrical knowledge than me (in other words, any monkey) could help, that would be awesome.

PS: this guy has bad luck with trucks. Biggest die hard GM guy you'll ever meet, he currently has 3 GMs on the road. This '97 1-ton, a '91 3/4 ton plow truck that I made a separate thread about (starting issues), and a 2000 GMC extended cab that had the ABS f*** up putting him in a ditch and smashing it up bad. All within a week lol.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Well I yanked one out of one of my parts trucks this evening, destroyed the one in the old 3/4 ton trying to take it out, but got the one out of my old Z71 without issue. Somebody sometime in the truck's life decided it was necessary to splice a bunch of wires into that harness running to a couple switches with inline fuses and breakers that ran up through the firewall in a very makeshift manner. What for, I have no idea. I just cut the wires off and re-spliced them and will hope for the best.

Will update tomorrow when I try it on the diesel.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Put a switch in, turns out 98+ is different from 95-97. Fixed the gauge issue, all lights come on and glow plugs work, but the truck still won't start. Battery is pretty well done though, going to frig with it tomorrow with charged up batteries.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 98 and up has passlock. Crack an injector line and see if you have diesel when cranking. Check the T-fitting by the thermostats and see if there is diesel there as well. If fuel at T and not at injectors it is a 99% chance that the PMD is done.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Fuel is there. Truck would start before when you frigged with the switch, now with the new switch/column all it will do is kick about 3 times when you first start whirling it over, and then no fire, it will whirl 'till the cows come home. I'd say something is wrong with the switch assembly I put in. Going to screw around tomorrow morning and see what I can figure out. Will update.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Really? Frig. Show's what the junkyard knows I guess, they said anything would work. Put one in out of a 99 C3500 454 standard. That would explain it.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Alright according to the local GM dealer any 98-00 switch will work, gas or diesel. Found this out after we returned the gasser column to the junkyard. Apparently the passlock is screwing it up somehow. Went back and bought the column again (lol). Did the passlock relearn several times, nothing. Kicks about three times and then will whirl until the batteries are dead. Put the old column in, bang on the switch with a hammer, and it runs, back at square 1. Tried a couple other switches and relearned, same thing as above. WTF.

Edited for description clarity

Last edited:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Well, I must have screwed up the relearn somehow before. Scanned it this morning, no codes. Switch off. Switch on and whirled the motor over once, back to run for 10 minutes. Off for 10 seconds, repeat twice, and it fired right up. Works good, no intermittent stalls and it starts every time.