6.5 turbo billet wheel, ebay....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111270944603?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Yeah, not so sure I buy his claims.

I know from personal experience squeezing more than 300 hp out of a 6.5 turbo takes a hell of a lot more than a new wheel and a reflash.

I'm at the 300 hp mark and no need for a "questionable" quality component like a "billet" wheel. I''m not spinning the life out of my stock-ish gm8 either.

He doesn't even know if you need to re-balance the assembly yet is confident it can make 350+ hp?

Lower egt's because it is more responsive? I wonder if he's ever even seen a stock GM8 "respond"? Boost is instant even with the 25-ish OE design.

I'd be concerned with surge in the IHI housing by the looks of it and his claims.

Tread cautiously if you explore it.

It also looks awfully suspiciously similar to the 7.3 "billet" wheels on "the bay"...would be nice if he posted some dimensions. even induced and exducer. heck, even a max diameter.

Then there's the simple fact that it's actually on EBAY. Warning sign right there.

I'm thinking BS...

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, I may possibly eat some crow.

Gawd help me but curiosity got the better of me and I ordered one.

I'm a suspicious as heck, but 125 bucks isn't that big of a loss to explore it a bit.

I've got several GM8's up on the shelf so I'll pull one down off the shelf that I have with a known cracked compressor blade. Other wise its fine. Caught it before it did anything besides crack and it's been sitting on the shelf ever since. It needed a compressor wheel for it to ever be of use again, so this experiment kinda fits the bill.

The wheel will get LPI'd (liquid penetrant inspection) for cracks and eddy current inspected for voids in the material since it IS coming from eBay. No matter who makes it or sells it.

Then the compressor, shaft and turbine will go off to my builder for balancing.

At that point I can have some confidence that it isn't going to all come apart on me and roach some expensive parts downstream.

The turbine case will go out it for his usual "clean up" and alterations also.

Once it comes back I'll put it all together after my own personal "reworking".

Then, when time permits, the truck will head for the rollers and we'll see what we can get out of it with some recalibration work.

There are some aspects of the billet compressor wheel I like (from looks) and some I don't.

The extended tips promise less slip, which means I can dump the wastegate sooner. Good thing.

The blade angle looks like it has been reduced as it's been extended which often equates to better High Rpm performance. Another good thing.

That's all very over simplified, but good enough for discussion purposes until I get it in my hands for a more thorough examination and some measurements.

Compressors wheels are so freaking sensitive that even a thou of difference here or there makes big changes. This thing is seriously different than the original so even the RHC8 map I have probably means nothing.

Surge, choke, etc. All of it: different.

I just hate working without a compressor and turbine map to start from...time will tell if it works better or not I suppose.

I think I have a sickness, why can't I just stop working on this damned truck?

:rofl:

I'm pretty sure i know where the compressor wheels are coming from, but can't say 100% so I won't say at all. If the vendor confirms it and gives the "OK", I'll pass the info along.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I may possibly eat some crow.

Gawd help me but curiosity got the better of me and I ordered one.

I think I have a sickness, why can't I just stop working on this damned truck?

:rofl:

LOL! If you eat crow, may I suggest a slow cooker and cream of mushroom soup.

Yep, you have it bad!

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
You may possibly find a quality part. Maybe not as an "upgrade" or "go fast goodies", but maybe an affordable replacement. Sub'd for future info.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still doing this?

Curious if you are seeing the same results as the other person that is documenting one of these.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Still doing this?

Curious if you are seeing the same results as the other person that is documenting one of these.

Yup. Kinda keeping my findings to myself.

Its going out as a unit soon for some work.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I see....

Yup, learned to keep the lions share of my work to myself a while ago.

Thats why you won't find a picture of my engine bay any newer than about 2 years old.....got tired of the various "experts" being nothing more than duff gen so I mind my own business now.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, learned to keep the lions share of my work to myself a while ago.

Thats why you won't find a picture of my engine bay any newer than about 2 years old.....got tired of the various "experts" being nothing more than duff gen so I mind my own business now.

Um, ok

Then why bother to post threads?