eBay Billet Distributor Reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captainfab

Reaction score
I think your confusing Chinese cast that's often called billet with actual billet.
I agree 100%. The BET distributor is a very nice machined real billet aluminum distributor made in the USA. The cheap aluminum distributors typically found on ebay as well as other sources are actually cast aluminum and made in China.

Ardyh

Reaction score
I replaced the cheap plastic factory distributor at 200,000 miles in my 2000 C3500 with a cheap cast aluminum one from Ebay. That was over fifty thousand miles ago and only one cap and rotor replacement since then. No other problems and fixed hard starting due to the plastic shaft being so worn that the timing was way off. This is a 350 engine but the $62 version for the 454 looks the same....

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Despite ”having one in stock” and “in the warehouse”, Autozone has failed to come through on the bracket and I’m taking it as a sign that I should just get the BET distributor. Ordering this afternoon.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ordered and set to ship tomorrow I think. Nice guy.

For others, he has 10 more assembled now with standard bushings at the top of the shaft and one with a bearing for the full race types I guess. I'm excited about getting Bruce (the Suburban) out of my garage but with these gas prices, I'm glad I started biking last week so I'm not even tempted to take it to work.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Arrived, will be doing a review of it as I install it. It's a nice looking piece and packed well. Review tomorrow or Monday as I'm not able to install it tonight.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally back in action after some stupidity by me and a coincidental MAF failure that made it super hard to diagnose.

Quick feedback is it's an extremely nice piece of kit and almost felt bad getting it covered in oily fingerprints installing it. Comes with cap but no rotor, I ended up using the BlueStreak cap as it's copper terminals vs. the supposedly OEM cap which had aluminum. As with all distributors, it's a pain to align the oil pump drive, #1, and the total housing clocking to clear the intake plenum. Tried two different clockings but either way you've got wires close to the plenum. I think I ended up having to put the socket for drivers back plenum bolt between plug wires on one of the alignments. Runs great and I've taken it all the way up to 4k RPM with no breakup or scatter. I have no reason to take it higher so can't say beyond that. I do have at least some pictures to post of the install but that'll be later.

In related feedback, Autozone did find the Dorman bracket so I kept it and while I've not tried to use it yet, it looks like it'll work on the Vortec BBC distributors as well. Pictures of that when I try it out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have we ever figured out what is different on the 454 distributor?
454 Vortec vs. SBC Vortec? Far as I know there are two differences.

1. The 454 Vortec distributor has a "thermal washer" above the driven gear.

2. The driven gear is a little shorter, to make room for the thermal washer.

Wild Guess with no evidence: The "thermal washer" protects the plastic housing from the heat of a working big-block. An aftermarket aluminum-bodied distributor wouldn't need the "thermal washer or the shorter gear.

I ended up using the BlueStreak cap as it's copper terminals vs. the supposedly OEM cap which had aluminum.
Not copper. Brass. Doesn't conduct as well as copper, or even as well as aluminum. Has better corrosion resistance, though.

For the record, brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. Neither one conducts electricity anywhere near as well as "pure" copper.

Autozone did find the Dorman bracket so I kept it and while I've not tried to use it yet, it looks like it'll work on the Vortec BBC distributors as well. Pictures of that when I try it out.
I expect it'll work. But do let us know...