No lights on the dash, No crank or start. 1992 gmc sierra 5.0L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vddiaz94

Reaction score
Good evening, I was going to change the oil pressure switch on my 1992 GMC Sierra due to a leak I suspected was coming from. I followed this video here
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
i got the socket as well but I had clearance issues. I had difficulty getting the harness and the socket on the switch to take it off. I did unplug a couple of spark plug wires from the distributor to gain clearance. After a good attempt, I decided to hold off and get the right tools for the job. I reconnected everything and went to start I did get lights but no crack so I assumed I must have forgotten to properly plug something. I made sure all spark wires clicked into a distributor and went to start and no lights or crank. I then again assumed i must have mismatched a couple of spark wires. So then I followed an ignition timing diagram to make sure all coils were plugged in correctly on the distributor. After numerous attempts to make sure I didn't mismatch anything still had no power. I then thought my battery must of died so i jumped it and let the donor car charge for 10-15 minutes and still no lights on the dash. What I think happened was I must of damaged a harness or ignition coil inside of the distributor or maybe my firing order is still off but then why would i have no lights on the dash? I'm going to take my Optima battery to see if it's dead but I wanted to check in with the folks on here who are familiar with the harnesses in the general working area. Btw it ran great that same day before I made my mistake or power short/failure.

Thanks,
Victor Diaz

Last edited: