5.7 carb or 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would I be better off getting? I want around 450 hp but idk what would be better

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LSx over a carb any day of the week....you can get 450hp either way, but I'm a MPFI kinda guy...to me going carb is like taking a step backward, MPFI offers alot of benefits, but can be a little more complex than carb, so to each their own.

90lsx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6.0 some head work. A good cam selection and you're good to go guaranteed horsepower reliable and the tuning software out for the Lsx motors is ridiculous. Just my. 02

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a big price difference?

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For a 5.3 to make 450hp, it would be unstreetable. You'd be torturing yourself as a DD. Reason being, you'd have to choose a crank, piston, and head combo to put you in the @10.5 - 11:1 or greater compression ratio with all sorts of supporting mods like 4-bolt main, 750 - 800 cfm carb or equivilent efi, raised runner/intake, high-pressure fuel pump, blueprint/balance, and relatively large/lopey/poor-street-idling cam, etc. Otherwise, a supercharger might put you close to there on a more or less stock 5.3.

The 5.7 with it's slightly larger displacement could put you there with an ever so slightly lower compression ratio albeit with extensive mods as well.

If you're looking at a brand new long-block swap and are shooting for that power level, i'd look at a 406 (bored/honed 400) for streetable power.

That's my 2 cents. Other opinions may vary.

<flame_on>