5.3 + manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris90ak

Reaction score
So I just got done cosmetically with a 1990 rcsb Silverado, it’s a 4.3 manual and I want to swap it to a 5.3/6.0/4.8 manual on a budget but not so the truck runs like badly
I’m not experienced on these kinds of swaps and I want to know what route I’m going with this
You must be registered for see images attach

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid of the smaller motors. You can build a better 4.8/5.3 for the cost of a stock 6.0,
Also remember that GM put 4.8's and 5.3's in literally millions of trucks that accumulated billions of miles doing truck shìt, they're perfectly capable and far cheaper.
All the parts needed for the swap are readily available, @0xDEADBEEF has just completed a motor swap similar to what you want to do, he'll probably have some pointers for you.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How are you going to really enjoy/drive your truck? Be honest with yourself. If you NEED to be the baddest guy in the 'hood, then yeah go big or go home as they say. But if you just want a nice reliable driver that'll make you smile when you step on the pedal, either the 4.8 or 5.3 will do just fine. I've done two LS swaps, a 5.3 in an '80 Squarebody, and my current ride, an '89 RCSB 2wd. with a 4.8. Both motors were mildly cammed, but that's all. To compare the two, the 5.3 was quicker, but the 4.8 is just as fast. Almost sneaky fast. I'm really enjoying my '89. It starts good, drives nice, will smoke the tires if needed, and is just plain fun. Sounds good too. People take notice when taking the truck to a cruise-night. Besides, when you open the hood, all 3 engines look identical.

Nice truck BTW...

Last edited:

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know why the 6.0 is so expensive. I can get 4.8 given to me but a healthy 6.0 in the truck i can't give away. I take that beck i can give it away but I can't get any money. Guys that know my truck will buy a 6.0 out of a junk yard and pay good money but offer me scrap price on a running motor with everything they need. You couldn't make me swap this into anything unless it was real light with deep gears and was bound for the drag strip. As a driver I would take a 4.3, 5.7 or 7.4. The 8.1 is the only motor worth the swap and I would do that instead of the ls motor. Same wiring less work and lots of power and tire shredding torque down low

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
While a 4.8 or 5.3 would get it done, it sure seems like some of you have a lot more patience than I do. Slap a turbo on there and yeah, 5.3 all day.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know why the 6.0 is so expensive. I can get 4.8 given to me but a healthy 6.0 in the truck i can't give away. I take that beck i can give it away but I can't get any money. Guys that know my truck will buy a 6.0 out of a junk yard and pay good money but offer me scrap price on a running motor with everything they need. You couldn't make me swap this into anything unless it was real light with deep gears and was bound for the drag strip. As a driver I would take a 4.3, 5.7 or 7.4. The 8.1 is the only motor worth the swap and I would do that instead of the ls motor. Same wiring less work and lots of power and tire shredding torque down low

I know, literally just gave away a higher mileage 5.3L as in I sold it for $150.