4.3 haters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way I see it, is just as you said, a few mods, this and that, money spent it'll equal a stock 350.

WHY? just spend the money and buy a 350 it'll be easy on gas and then the money you would have spent on the 4.3 will make the 350 even better. If you add more hp and torque to the 4.3 it aint gonna be as easy on gas as a stocker. The 350 would have more torque and hp and help get you up to speed better and faster, esp. if you are hauling anything. The 4.3 could or would have to work harder to do the same job which could cost more in gas and wear and tear on the motor, not to mention if the motor is old it aint getting as good of mileage as it could, which would be fixed by a rebuild, so even more money thrown out.

Its like the 305 vs 350 build debate, you can dump money into the 305 and make good power, but all the money you dump into it would make even more power on the 350.

I understand a budget and work with what you got, so...

I would think full tune up and/or rebuild of the 4.3, long tubes, better exhaust system, chip burnt, tbi mods, a different cam, maybe flat tops or something, shaved heads, that would be more CR, better intake maybe or heads? like doing vortec heads instead of stock 4.3. Basically all the things you can do to a 350 to make it better you can do or find for a 4.3 although it's usually alot more to do it on a 4.3 then a more common build 350.

Reaction score
lol...4.3 Spin the **** out of some tires and great mpg..:cheers:

**EDIT** swims350 is rite.. love the 6 or get an 8 if your wanting to put money in a motor.. <sounds harsh :( lol... not ment that way...
but it would be better to spend money on a 350 than waste it on a 262...

Last edited:

BOTMAN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way I see it, is just as you said, a few mods, this and that, money spent it'll equal a stock 350.

WHY? just spend the money and buy a 350 it'll be easy on gas and then the money you would have spent on the 4.3 will make the 350 even better. If you add more hp and torque to the 4.3 it aint gonna be as easy on gas as a stocker. The 350 would have more torque and hp and help get you up to speed better and faster, esp. if you are hauling anything. The 4.3 could or would have to work harder to do the same job which could cost more in gas and wear and tear on the motor, not to mention if the motor is old it aint getting as good of mileage as it could, which would be fixed by a rebuild, so even more money thrown out.

Its like the 305 vs 350 build debate, you can dump money into the 305 and make good power, but all the money you dump into it would make even more power on the 350.

I would think full tune up and/or rebuild of the 4.3, long tubes, better exhaust system, chip burnt, tbi mods, a different cam, maybe flat tops or something, shaved heads, that would be more CR, better intake maybe or heads? like doing vortec heads instead of stock 4.3. Basically all the things you can do to a 350 to make it better you can do or find for a 4.3 although it's usually alot more to do it on a 4.3 then a more common build 350.

Why build up a 5.7, when a 5.3 would be just as expensive to swap in...

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I t dnt find it necassary to have a v8 when my motor only has a little over 51,000 original miles. As far as built up goes. I think ive gone as far as I want to with the 4.3. Its not much but its what I want done to it. Gibson shorties. 2.5" piping, catback exhaust (dummy cat and cherrybomb extreme), tbi spacer, and open element filter just because I think it looks cool haha. If I wanted a built up motor and power I would go 350 or 400 sbc. But ive got an s10 with a 350 for my slight power addiction. I dont tow anything but my boat in the summer time that weighs hardly anything. I just tool around town and ****. As far as burnin tires on dry pavement goes It does pretty good.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the v8 s dime would be good for power, but if it were me the fullsize would be my v8 truck and the s dime my daily since it's smaller and less weight it'd be better on gas lol.

I was just answeres your why ppl say go 350 stuff. They are probably like me and think well all the stuff I can do to a 4.3 I can do to a v8 and get more.

Mines no power house, I just did a stock rebuild on the 350 to try and keep it cheap, then I had to put shorties on since the manifolds were cracked and it already had no cats and duals on it no y-pipe. The rest is stock. it worked out pretty good since it gets tons better mileage then dad's mild 350 in his 84 chevy truck with highway gears.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wtf you 4.3 guys can roast your tires??? What the hell is wrong with my truck then??? I haven't gotten on it too hard cause I don't want to break anything as it's my only vehicle during the winter but when I stab the throttle on dry pavement they don't spin.

Reaction score
I seen a 5something big block in a sleeper on youtube the other day.. In a 454ss truck.. Wonder what a rat would be like in a bagged truck..

Reaction score
Oh i can tap my pedal half way really quick and smoke out the whole block and have the smoke bellow from my fenders a mile down the road after spinning the tires.. I love it :)

**EDIT** My neighbor has a Ford lightning and is dien to race me.. He thinks ive got something under my hood! LMAO

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I love my 4.3.. its the vortec.. mine has 200hp from factory, which why hate on that? a 350 from the factory has only 210hp WOW.. and the all so mighty 454SS has a whopping 230hp! A couple cheap bolt on items and i have more power than the rest of the factory GMT400 lineup:cheers:

HP isnt everything :deal: