4.3 haters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive been searching around the other chevy sites for some 4.3 power adders and just some more basic knowledge on them just for kicks. Everyone says "why do that its a 4.3" I dont really understand these people. I mean with gas being $3.12+ a gallon. Us 4.3 owners can't complain. All my buddies tell me constantly put a 350 in it. All I say is "what for"?. I guess I just dont get why a lot of people are 4.3 haters. I mean with a little time and a few mods the hp is pretty close to a stock 350 from 88-94. I just dont get it why people don't like them. I love mine. Sorry guys had to rant.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Its still a v6 in a fullsize anyway you cut it. If you want good reliable power that's the best bang for your buck that requires stepping it up to a small block or ultimately a Gen III swap. IMO just run the 4.3 till it croaks or till you can afford (including gas mileage since that is a major concern for you) to do a V8 swap.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Find a wrecked Syclone/Typhoon and either get the motor from it or the turbo/intercooler for your truck.

When I was in college, my roommate and I alternated whose trucks we drove back home on the weekends. His truck was a '91 with a 4.3L and 5-speed. My truck was my '91 with a 350 and 5-speed. For all intents and purposes our trucks were the same except for the engine. My truck had more power and consistently got 2+ mpg better mileage on the highway. Running around town, I could see a bigger gap in mileage in favor of the 4.3, but the V6 had less power to pull the same weight on the highway and had to work harder to do it.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can understand all that. And Butch I think gas mileage is a concern for everyone nowadays or atleast alot of people. I just dont see why people are hating on people who want to do small mods and things to these motors. I mean its essentailly the same as 350 with 2 less pistons. I mean theres people who buy the 350 to use them and thats different. But then theres people like around where i'm from who have them so say they have them and that really chaps my ass when they get after me for having v6.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the 4.3 is what you've got and you're happy with it and want to mod it, then so be it. It's your truck. If someone else doesn't like it, then tough. Tell them to get their own truck and build it their way. Just don't think that V6 automatically equals fuel economy. I've seen 22 mpg on the highway on several trips and I don't have a light right foot.

Reaction score
I love my 4.3.. its the vortec.. mine has 200hp from factory, which why hate on that? a 350 from the factory has only 210hp WOW.. and the all so mighty 454SS has a whopping 230hp! A couple cheap bolt on items and i have more power than the rest of the factory GMT400 lineup:cheers:

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love my 4.3.. its the vortec.. mine has 200hp from factory, which why hate on that? a 350 from the factory has only 210hp WOW.. and the all so mighty 454SS has a whopping 230hp! A couple cheap bolt on items and i have more power than the rest of the factory GMT400 lineup:cheers:

Exactly my point most people don't know the specs.

" If the 4.3 is what you've got and you're happy with it and want to mod it, then so be it. It's your truck. If someone else doesn't like it, then tough. Tell them to get their own truck and build it their way. Just don't think that V6 automatically equals fuel economy. I've seen 22 mpg on the highway on several trips and I don't have a light right foot. "

I don't think it automatically equals fuel economy. But ive never seen a 350 get 22mpg even on the highway. I drive highway once a year so im not really concerened with highway mileage. I average 18-21 mpg around town. While all my buddies with the 350 osbs are getting between 10-14. But of course fuel economy matters to me with gas being $3.12+ a gallon. Trust me i'm not hating on 350's either. I would love to have one I could find a cheap vortec swap. But around here thats next to impossible.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The 454SS ended up having 255hp by '93. Still not much. The torque numbers is where they really kicked ass. Someone should take a 454SS and drop in a Vortec 454.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not exactly a common combination, but being a 5-speed does make a positive difference.

I can imagine. I had a 2wd v6 5 speed and I got 25mpg around town quite often if I was easy on it. 5 speeds are tons better on fuel.