3 alternators in 2 weeks???? please help....whats wrong with my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it is Autozone, but I don't know how you could get 3 bad ones in a row. The only thing that could be bent is the "swivel" bracket. But like has been mentioned - you should notice it when putting your belt on.

what would i notice when putting belt on if it were bent?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
autozone is the harbor freight of auto stores....

getting fluids, filters, and windshield wipers there is no problem, but stay away from their electronic components, I had 2 IAC valves bad out of the box from them recently...

if I were you I'd try the advance store and see what they have, or if you can wait for shipping, order from rock auto or something.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
If anything's bent bad enough to toast the alternator that quickly, you'd notice it right after you get the belt on and start it up.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the belt would be ripped apart too...

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anything's bent bad enough to toast the alternator that quickly, you'd notice it right after you get the belt on and start it up.

oh okay got you... what size belt should i be running its an 89 350 with a/c and no smog.. i think i have a 95.5 right now not 100% sure on that though i forget.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

getting fluids, filters, and windshield wipers there is no problem, but stay away from their electronic components, I had 2 IAC valves bad out of the box from them recently...

if I were you I'd try the advance store and see what they have, or if you can wait for shipping, order from rock auto or something.

okay ill try advanced and see what i get. there is no one around here that rebuilds them or else i would do that.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Word, their hard replacement part's are junk!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I personally have good luck with O'reilly part's, I have an account there and buy from them every week!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I don't mind orileys either...

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Did you ever try the correct belt? A longer belt will not be as tight, which will slip and chirp. Are you using the same pulley or are your replacement alternators coming with pulleys? I'd start looking for something else.