3 alternators in 2 weeks???? please help....whats wrong with my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so on my 89 k1500 5.7 i have been going through alot of alternators. i first replaced my alternator (stock one) because the bearing in it started chirping and it started not to charge as well as it should.. then i go to auto zone and get the 1yr replacement 105amp alternator and a new belt and put it on my truck, the chirping is gone and all is good. well 3 days later the chirping comes back to the point where i cant stand it so i take the alternator back off and take it to autozone to have it switched for a new one.. the guy puts it on the machine and checks it and it checks out bad already then he switches me for the same type alternator and i take it home and put it on.. so after i install its quite again with no chirping and all is well... well the next morning it starts chirping every now and then so i know its about to start again and sure enough by lunch its chirping bad again... so i take it back to autozone again and the guy behind the counter says well the 1yr replacement is not as good as the life time replacement.. so he gives me the life time replacement and i pay the difference. well i put it on my truck and it starts chirping with in 3 minutes of the install, its now two days later and its squeeling horrible... what the heck is up with my truck?

i know its the bearing in the alternators because when you remove and spin by hand the alternator squeeks... i just dont understand this at all.. is somthing wrong with my brackets causing it to wear quickly (it looks like its inline with everything else though)

Joesgarage

Wrench
Reaction score
I never seen one do that,
Even if your belt is way too tight it should last longer than one two days
Crappy autozone junk

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never seen one do that,
Even if your belt is way too tight it should last longer than one two days
Crappy autozone junk

well see thats what i thought also but i bought a new belt tensioner and a lil longer belt just incase.. the belt is easy to get on and i dont have to force it at all so i wouldnt think that would be it.. but maybe im wrong

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My past experiences with Autozone alts. & starters etc went the same way.
I learned to stay away from their junk and only buy from local NAPA now. Problems solved.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My past experiences with Autozone alts. & starters etc went the same way.
I learned to stay away from their junk and only buy from local NAPA now. Problems solved.

bad thing is i dont have a napa around here... only autozone, advanced and oreilys or w/e are any of those good or should i order one from the internet somewhere? im just really tired of the loud squeeling lol pretty sad when i hear over my musice and exhaust haha

MattyJ

Resident Nats fan
Reaction score
all you have to say is "autozone" i work at a shop and we refuse to buy alternators, starters, batteries, anything electrical from them because we have had so many comebacks for faulty parts. go get one somewhere else for sure

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all you have to say is "autozone" i work at a shop and we refuse to buy alternators, starters, batteries, anything electrical from them because we have had so many comebacks for faulty parts. go get one somewhere else for sure

okay i will try that for sure.. any brand on alternators i should be going after

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
It's weird that you're having so much trouble. Normally, I just get mine rebuilt or find someone who does that locally. If you want to buy a new/reman, I'd stick to Delco, Bosch, or Denso.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do any of you think my brackets or somthing may be bent or somthing along those lines.. buddy bought new alternator from autozone and didnt have any problems.. i just dont see how i got 3 bad ones lol..

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Well, it is Autozone, but I don't know how you could get 3 bad ones in a row. The only thing that could be bent is the "swivel" bracket. But like has been mentioned - you should notice it when putting your belt on.