3 alternators in 2 weeks???? please help....whats wrong with my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Three? Its sounds like you have a ground problem.

Check the ground between the frame, chassis, drivetrain and body. My bet is you lost a ground, making the ALT work overtime.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you ever try the correct belt? A longer belt will not be as tight, which will slip and chirp. Are you using the same pulley or are your replacement alternators coming with pulleys? I'd start looking for something else.

yes ive tried the correct belt and a lil short belt and a longer belt to see if it was a belt causing the issue and it wasnt.. the alternators come with new pulleys

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
It sounds like you have an issue other than the actual alternator. I've gotten bad reman parts before but not like that.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like you have an issue other than the actual alternator. I've gotten bad reman parts before but not like that.

see thats what i was thinking but what could it be because the alternators are charging now just fine its just the develop a squeek from the rear bearing every time.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Take the rear bracket bolt loose and see what happens.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take the rear bracket bolt loose and see what happens.

ive tried that and it just stays in place where it was (or do you mean drive around without it?).. it really doesnt look like anything is bent but i could be wrong..

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
replaced with a new alternator and belt from orellys and today started chirping again im so lost what the heck is my problem with this truck

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Are you sure that it's the alternator? I had a similar squeek on my '97. Changed EVERTHING that rotated with the belt. Idler, H20 pump, alternator, & a couple of different belts. Turned out to be the last thing I changed. The power steering pump! It didn't affect the steering feel either. And you need a special tool to get the pulley off on a '95-97. Other years may need that special tool to get the pulley off, but I'm not familar with the earlier set-ups.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure that it's the alternator? I had a similar squeek on my '97. Changed EVERTHING that rotated with the belt. Idler, H20 pump, alternator, & a couple of different belts. Turned out to be the last thing I changed. The power steering pump! It didn't affect the steering feel either. And you need a special tool to get the pulley off on a '95-97. Other years may need that special tool to get the pulley off, but I'm not familar with the earlier set-ups.

well when i get the new alternator it spins quite and then once i drive around a lil and i hear the squeek you can take the belt off and spin the alternator pully by hand and hear the squeek.. so im almost positive thats all it is.. other wise when i spin the alternator by hand it shouldnt squeek at all esp bc its new. this just doesnt make any sense what so ever to me. all my pulleys look inline with each other all my brackets look good.. all my wiring looks fine it holds charge nicely.... i just keep buring out the rear bearingns on the alternators causing them to squeek... im so lost, i have never seen or heard of this before