3/4 ton Rear axle into 1/2 ton suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KennedyEngine

Reaction score
Whats up everyone

So I have a little project going on at the moment, I am trying to put a lly Duramax/Allison into a 1999 1500 suburban.

I know the 1/2 ton rear axle in the suburban is not going to hold up to the duramax. I will be taking the rear axle out of the donor truck I got my engine out of. It is a 2004 chevy 2500hd, the rear axle is a 1150 AAM with 3.73 gears, which works perfect because the suburban has 3.73 gears as well.

The rear axles are both removed at the moment and I mocked the 3/4 ton under the suburban, I found I will need to move the spring perches inward on the axle.

I am not sure on the best way to move the perches to maintain the correct pinion angle. My idea was to place the 1/2 ton axle on the level floor and place a jack under the yolk to rotate the pinion angle up or down. Then I would put a level on the spring perched and rotate the axle until it shows the perch is level. once the perch is level I can get my pinion angle and record it.

Now I would set up the 3/4 ton axle the same way once the perches were removed. I would raise or lower my pinion angle until it was at the same level I recorded from the 1/2 ton. Once my pinion angle is set I will place the perches in the correct location and move them until it shows level and tack into place keeping the pinion angle the same as the 1/2 ton was. I would then do final welding once vehicle weight was on the axle and I made sure everything squared up.

Now I have never done a rear axle swap so I was hoping someone with some knowledge on the subject might be able to help me out. I am just looking to figure out if this is the correct and best method of going about this. Also the suburban axle had a sway bar on it and was wondering if it would be beneficial to swap over the sway bar to the new axle?
Thanks in advance and here are some pics
You must be registered for see images